Female vs Male - Time measurement in starwars

domein

I have noticed on several occasions that time is measured in similar to terms as we do, e.g. years, months, hours, etc.

Now, taking year for example, is it equal in length to year on earth?

If it is, then why, as Earth is in a galaxy far far away and not known at all?

If it is different, what planet they use as central measurement and how long it is compared to a year on Earth?

Because different planets have different time it takes to rotate around star, so different length of a year, no?

Edited by domein

Think of them as translating time in Galactic Basic, with its own forms of measurement, into English/French/German, with metric and other Earth-based measurements.

It would be like something in American English with feet/miles/pounds/etc. translated into French with meters/kilometers/newtons/etc.

I hope I understood your question right.

Basically, Coruscant is the Galactic standard. It provides the standard language (Basic), but also the standard time. Coruscant has 368 days in a year, 24 hours a day. So that's a standard galactic time for you. Of course other planets have different lenghths of days and years.

Check http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Galactic_Standard_Calendar

Funny thing. Remeber the E.T. film? Of course you do. But did you know that his species actually come from the galaxy far far away? And that during the last days of the Old Republic they funded an extragalactic expedition project. To our galaxy =)

This may not be considered canon, but still a little fun fact about Earth being mentioned in Star Wars.

Funny thing. Remeber the E.T. film? Of course you do. But did you know that his species actually come from the galaxy far far away? And that during the last days of the Old Republic they funded an extragalactic expedition project. To our galaxy =)

This may not be considered canon, but still a little fun fact about Earth being mentioned in Star Wars.

Ya, ET's species is seen in The Phantom Menace. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Children_of_the_Green_Planet

The did indeed conceive and launch an extra-galactic mission; it was called Outbound Flight.

It made it into the Unkown regions, and was destroyed by Thrawn, as part of Palpatine's machinations

As for the OP; Xerxex is correct. The galactic standard time is based on Coruscant time. But, each planet does have their own time.

If I recall correctly ET's species was one of the species sitting in the Senate in Episode I. Rumour has it you can also see the xenomorph from Alien in there somewhere.

I hope I understood your question right.

Basically, Coruscant is the Galactic standard. It provides the standard language (Basic), but also the standard time. Coruscant has 368 days in a year, 24 hours a day. So that's a standard galactic time for you. Of course other planets have different lenghths of days and years.

Check http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Galactic_Standard_Calendar

Thanks, this explains it!

Sorry about title, I was going to ask another question, but suddenly forgot, was something to do with playing tennis.