The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Hard Mode Tanking Question

Shadowking

My BH Tank recently hit 50 and I was looking to start hard modes, but wanted some suggestions on stat levels to tank hard mode flashpoints. Im currently sitting about 15000 HP and 47 damage reduction. I did tank a hard Black Talon but I nearly died on a few pulls. So I was wondering what goals I should aim for, or what a good suggestion is.

I have about 18k HP, 13% defense, 41% shield chance, 40% shield absorption, 45% damage reduction. I also have 98% chance to hit (+accuracy). I can do all the hardmodes mostly well.

I started less than this, and I can tell you BT is the easiest to do, with Foundry being the hardest thanks to Revan hitting so hard.

Everything does hit harder but here is some help:

(1) Make sure DPS does normals -> silvers -> gold. If you can get one of them to be main assist, that helps a lot. If you leave the normal trash mobs last they will burn down your healer, or burn you down. They go down quickly but do more dps so take them out!

(2) Do your dailies and especially the 2+ elite quests on Belsavis and Ilum. They reward you with purple mods and enhancements, respectively.

(3) Learn to kite melee bosses in case they enrage. There's a talent in the shield tech tree that makes Ion Gas Cylinder slow down your enemies.

(4) Hardmode is a DPS check. If DPS can't burn down a boss quick enough, and you generate enough threat quickly, then the bosses will enrage and one or two shot everyone.

(5) Do not skip +accuracy. After bumping it up I found threat is much more manageable. You can get implants and an earpiece from GTN to give you that.

(6) /inspect DPS before taking them along. If they're in gear that has lots of below 50 mods you are better off asking them not to come along.

(7) Use CC. Especially in False Emperor. You'll need 2-3 CCs then. Learn to mark and assign everyone a mark. Learn who has in combat CC and out of combat CC for droids or humans.

Edited by demoncrat

great reply, demon!

what gear do you use? oranges with purple mods from dailies? or rather, what gear did you have when you started tanking heroics

I had a full set of oranges (bracer and belt were blue though). I only have one columi piece and that's from BT. So far I haven't been lucky with other drops.

What do you give up for the slowing talent on Ion Gas Cylinder? I thought that was mostly a PvP talent.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GRGrdRrRgzZZ0c.1

That's my talent tree. Even the speed increase from jet charge is useful if you're kiting. It's not a standard build. It's pure shield tech with 3 points in the endurance buff. It's working out well for me.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GRGrdRrRgzZZ0c.1

That's my talent tree. Even the speed increase from jet charge is useful if you're kiting. It's not a standard build. It's pure shield tech with 3 points in the endurance buff. It's working out well for me.

How do your groups fare against the first boss on HM BT? the last two I've tried seem to get hung up on it and couldn't even get past it on my last group. I'm trying to figure out if I'm doing something wrong or just one part I'm not doing at all. Our strat has been to ignore the other droids that spawn and try to take down the boss ASAP, and that barely worked the first group though.

The DPS in my groups are wearing good gear with some PVP gear mixed in.

My rotation is Jet Charge/Explosive Dart -> Rocket Punch -> Flame Burst -> Unload -> Flamethrower with Rapid Shot and Heat Blast when necessary.

I started less than this, and I can tell you BT is the easiest to do, with Foundry being the hardest thanks to Revan hitting so hard.

I just assumed this was a bug when Revan starts flipping out and one-shotting people around 35%. So this is just a tank gear-check?

When you have a choice, do you prioritize Aim or Endurance? While leveling, I have had difficulty deciding whether more threat or survivability was what I needed. As I approach 50, I am still unsure and would like to avoid replace poorly chosen mods.

How do your groups fare against the first boss on HM BT?

I PUG always since I haven't joined a guild.

Carbonite the four of them. Flamethrower/flame sweep/death from above to aoe them down and get all the aggro fast. Your healer, if a Sith Sorcerer, should bubble you. Then turn on your shield, and kolto overload and focus fire them down.

That's how I did it when I was a fresh 50. It's a gear check.

http://swtorshieldtech.blogspot.com/2012/01/tanking-hybrid-mania.html

This blog post takes up the most popular tanking builds and their difference from each other.

As a side note, going more than 31 points in a talent tree is usually bad, since you'll lose survivability and threat talents in the lower tiers of the other trees.

You make a good point but so far threat is not a big issue. I suspect if it does become a major issue I will redistribute my points.

Right now I can kite the crap out of any enraged melee boss.

When you have a choice, do you prioritize Aim or Endurance? While leveling, I have had difficulty deciding whether more threat or survivability was what I needed. As I approach 50, I am still unsure and would like to avoid replace poorly chosen mods.

All powertech tanking gear will have both so I don't really need to prioritize.

All powertech tanking gear will have both so I don't really need to prioritize.

Yes, it will have both, but there tends to be a choice of which to emphasize. For example, Commando vs. Reflex mods.

If you are talking about the gear you get from operations and hard mode flashpoints, it does appear we just buy our assigned set, but before that, there are still choices.

Yes, it will have both, but there tends to be a choice of which to emphasize. For example, Commando vs. Reflex mods.

If you are talking about the gear you get from operations and hard mode flashpoints, it does appear we just buy our assigned set, but before that, there are still choices.

You want the Commando set. Endurance over aim.

The Columi set for Powertech tanking is like this.

If I have a choice I will always go with Endurance over Aim. I don't have too much of a problem with threat so the more hp I have the better.

• 1 month later...