The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Can Powertech tank without Shieldtech (during leveling)

Jaince

I'm not talking about endgame raids or hardmode flashpoints, I'm quite certain that's suicide without a proper tankspec.

I'm talking about flashpoints during the leveling up process.

Can someone be Pyrotech specced and switch to Ion Gas Cylinder and still be a good/decent tank, or is that a stupid idea?

Just seems to be that most of the basic tank stuff is already provided for free. Grapple, taunt etc. Of course tank tree makes some of that better, but so much that it can't be done without?

It can be done easily till the mid 20's after that it's doable but gets harder and harder.

If your with a group of friends with decent coordination and/or have other tanky DPS types give it a go for as long as you can.

Later if you decide you like the tanky feel but still want ok dps try out the shield/pyro build.

Thanks for the info, i was wondering about this as well. I wanted to try the 21 / 2 / 18 build for tanking all the way to 50 myself. I thought that or the 30 / 11 / 0 would work for tanking fp's from what I'd read but still give me a tad more oomph when soloing. I wasn't sure if the first build would be enough tanking talents or if I would be better off grabbing 30 points in the tree.

Thanks for the info, i was wondering about this as well. I wanted to try the 21 / 2 / 18 build for tanking all the way to 50 myself. I thought that or the 30 / 11 / 0 would work for tanking fp's from what I'd read but still give me a tad more oomph when soloing. I wasn't sure if the first build would be enough tanking talents or if I would be better off grabbing 30 points in the tree.

I'm still using ST/Pyro when I do tank. The problem with ST/Pyro is that it is a late bloomer which relies on synergy deep in both trees. You can probably make it do stuff before 48, but it isnt until after 48 that the build comes into its own.

The most invaluable tanking talent, especially while leveling up, is Shield Vents. This is the only thing about Shieldtech that meaningfully separates it from the other trees. Consistent venting while tanking is pretty damn nice for threat output etc.

Hardmodes are DPS races against the Enrage timer. They'll slap you with wet noodles for about 2 minutes then suddenly smash you into a pulp. No amount of tanking gear or points in Shieldtech is going to change that. Focus a bit more on damage and you can help prevent that Enrage from ever happening.

Tanked all the way to 40 (stopped pve instancing after that) as a Pyro specced PT... it's low lvl content, as long as your party isnt full of clueless noobs it's more than doable. Edited by atreyuz

Tanked all the way to 40 (stopped pve instancing after that) as a Pyro specced PT... it's low lvl content, as long as your party isnt full of clueless noobs it's more than doable.

I haven't hit 40 on my BH yet, but my shadow consular is mid 30's, and they are very similar. have had no issues so far tanking most the content. bad group/poor healer will complain a bit. but you start to feel it as the FP levels increase. Don't see the BH being any different.