The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

shield spec gut? pve focus on operations

WimploMartin

question im thinking about geting gut for pve as shield spec seems like energy blast isnt that great the +1 ammo doesnt help much and seems like gut will help with aggro and bit more dps any other vanguard tanks out there have some good PVE operation focused specs?

The standard 31/8/2 works fine. I find Energy Blast to be useful in operations, but I'd wager you can get away with sacrificing it for Gut if you really wanted.

The main problem with Energy Blast right now is not so much its ammo gain, but how horrific the delay is to use the ability. Once that's fixed, I don't see people hating on it as much.

For the moment I'm not having any ammo/threat problems in flashpoints, so I don't see a lot of incentive to pick up Energy Blast. I'm going 30/11/0 to pick up Gut, getting the damage reduction, plus faster Carbonite Grenades and Batclaws along the way to support my PvP habit.

(Also, while I haven't done a number crunch, it feels like Blaster Augs and the shorter cooldown on Pulse Cannon should give me a threat boost comparable to 4 Energy Blasts per minute.)

I'll grit my teeth and go 31/?/? if endgame fights make it necessary, but at the moment EB isn't fun or powerful enough to interest me.

Edited by jfahy

For pure PvE tanking.... no pvp... already 50, not doing much other than heroics and raids, you dont need EB, gut, neural overload, or frontline offense, especially with liberal use of sonic round and neural jolt (which are free save a GCD, saving harpoon for escapees). then you just have to figure if your going 4 in counter and two in stock strike or 5 in counter and 1 in stockstrike.

You wont break any dps records or anything but we do have those three "free" taunt abilities. Plus you have to make sure your DPSers arent just spamming mad AoE to see pretty numbers.... but if they were neither gut nor EB would help with that anyways. Heck i sometimes just throw the taunts in the priority list or fire one off if the boss or mob seems to be going down too fast or all of a sudden loses a big chunk of health.