The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Trooper Vanguard Tanking Guide

Coldasbluessoul

My rotation is as follows (more or less):

Harpoon, Hammershot, Stockstrike, Hammershot, High Impact Bolt, Hammershot, Ion Pulse, Hammershot, Stockstrike, Hammershot, Sticky Grenade, Hammershot, Ion Pulse, Hammershot, Stockstrike,...

Basically I focus on using Stockstrike and HIB on cooldown, keeping the Ion Pulse debuff up, and using sticky grenade when all previous conditions have been met. I have found that buffering each attack with Hammershot helps me stay at near full energy all the time.

For mutlitarget pulls I just replace Ion Pulse with Explosive Surge and use it every 2-3 hammershots. I also open with Mortar Volley if available.

I have never had threat pulled off my focus target. I am probably not topping any dps charts anytime soon but it gets the job done. I have not really experimented with Hammershot every 2-3 abilities, so I can't speak for getting better results that way. The goal is to keep ammo in the top tier of regen.

Okay, so I need one and I can't find one. So... I figured maybe we can create one here in this thread to help future tanks learn :)

I've posted one in my blog (find it at my signature...) but... it's in spanish xD

I made a "linked reference" to the original one (english).

I'm also doing a Hammer Shot > Something Else > Repeat rotation, seems to keep ammo stable in the >>>> range.

Actually, thanks to Shield Cycler I think your ammo slowly creeps upward doing this, so I've recently started watching more closely for Static Shield (early Stock Strikes) and taking those immediately so I don't waste procs. That should take the Hammer:Other ratio from 1:1 to maybe 1.2:1, and I'll see if that's sustainable or if I wear myself down doing it.

(Even if I do wear down, it would still be worth doing. Just have to be prepared to Hammer twice in a row if I'm in danger of falling into the >>> Pit of Imminent Trouble.)