The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Help with a new Vanguard

Kayvault

Just a quick question, I am lvl 13 and I am having a issue with my Vanguard soloing some higher level quests and Heroics. I feel I have 1 CC ( CRYO ) and out side of that I just dont have the much ability to negate damage or control adds. A mob of 3+ becomes a pain.

Any advice on skill rotation or just general opinions would be great. I am loving the class and the story tho!

MMO player of 15 years.

MMO player of 15 years.

Sorry, if this is not what u want to hear but i think THIS is probably ur problem. In World of Noobcraft it is no prob to solo orange/red- or grp-Quests. In swtor, grp-quest means grp-quests and if mobs are 3lvls higher than u, yes, then they are strong.

There is the possibility to do it by doing some inefficient kiting-hit-and-run-AIpawning but this is not my personal playstyle...

Kiting, Kiting, Kiting... Yesterday Champion lvl 34 + 2 Strongs lvl 34 against Vanguard SS lvl 37 + Elara Dorne.

EPIC WIN!

If you know how to use your class (CC's, CDs and abilities), there should be no problem. At least not a really troublesome problem. But, if you come from WoW... change your mind completely. This is NOT WoW.

I don't think your problem comes with your age, but with what you have played before.

Good luck, and kick Imps' asses! :D

(Spaniard speaking... excuse my english :( )

In the start groups are somewhat troublesome as Vanguard due to little area damage. If you want my opinion then stick with Jorgan for a while for his damage to deal with packs.

Besides that then what I experienced to be the best is to throw a Sticky Grenade on the middle mob if groups are packed up and then use Pulse Cannon. This means you shouldn't start out with a ranged attack, but just run into melee of the group, apply the grenade and Pulse away. Groups are usually badly damaged or dead after that.

If you can keep upgrades in a good range of levels, then stick with Jorgan or M1-4X in damage mode. Elara is useless on normal groups, as her damage is pathetic and your other companions mow down units faster and cause you to lose little or no health at all. I'm at level 39 now and only used Elara on champion bosses. Anything else gets stomped instantly in melee range with me and Forex in damage mode.

Kiting, Kiting, Kiting...

ROFL.

I was kiting when it was invented (Druids kiting reds in Everquest 1), and the only reason I did it back then was because you got insane amounts of XP.

There is absolutely no point in kiting in TOR. You don't get more XP, you don't get epic drops, and when you brag about it people just "LoL whatever".

I've stood toe-to-toe with Champs + adds a fair few times, usually because I've not bothered looking before I run into them. They're no big deal. Tanks should be cool, calm and collected...not running around like their pants are on fire :p

To the OP, Sticky Grenade and Ion Cannon are your friends at your level. IC, then Sticky (not the other way around or else they'll blow out of the IC cone). The rest is just whittling them down. And take out the softest ones first, i.e. leave Strong/Silvers to last (or Elites if there are any).

Edited by Pigeye

I was kiting when it was invented (Druids kiting reds in Everquest 1), and the only reason I did it back then was because you got insane amounts of XP.

There is absolutely no point in kiting in TOR. You don't get more XP, you don't get epic drops, and when you brag about it people just "LoL whatever".

Maybe we don't get "kiting" as the same technique, but when the champ hits hard at melee range, kiting can save you some hard times while the mob keeps on running after you with his useless short-mid range saber.

At ease!

Maybe we don't get "kiting" as the same technique, but when the champ hits hard at melee range, kiting can save you some hard times while the mob keeps on running after you with his useless short-mid range saber.

At ease!

Ahh, you're talking about running away! That's different - I've seen this tactic on the field. There's no shame in being afraid.

:)