Question on gearing Combat Medic (level 50)

zorphon

So, I respecced to Combat Medic upon hitting 50.

I'm not positive on how to gear, so I have a few questions.

I'm assuming Alacrity is the most important? In that case, should I be going for Crit, or Power for my other stat?

I prefer crit, as I like seeing those big heals. But, how can I get surge if I'm focusing on Alacrity, as Surge and Alacrity are usually in the same 'spot' on gear/mods?

What should I be gearing, exactly.

Also I'm a 400 Cybertech, but the only earpiece I can make is power/alacrity (and obviously aim), should I make the dps one instead that has high aim/crit, or what?

Hello, level 50 Combat Medic here. I've done a full EV and solo healed Bonethrasher. Also a 400 Cybertechnician.

My two cents, some borrowed from research and some from experience thus far:

Alacrity is indeed the best secondary stat until you reduce your cast time on Medical Probe to 1.5 seconds. After that, Crit and Surge become more valuable. This is because Medical Probe is our only cast that is longer than the GCD. Reducing it to 1.5 seconds allows you to use an additional ability within a given frame of GCD's. Hammershot, Bacta, Kolto, Trauma, whatever suits the situation. I don't recall the hard number off the top of my head, I just keep checking it with my tooltips. Remember to account for your First Responder, as that essentially has a 100% uptime if you are using your abilities correctly.

For Earpieces, keep working on that Rejuvenating level 49 earpiece, you can unlock 4 variants of it by REing the green version(1 has Crit as the bonus stat). Choose the one that suits your gearing needs and RE that blue to the purple version. Alternately, the Tionese medic's earpiece recipe drops in EV and has something like 80 aim. Naturally, avoid anything with Accuracy on it like the plague.

So, for secondary stats I have Alacrity to 1.5 MP>Crit>Surge>More Alacrity with power wherever you can get it. Good luck!

Hello, level 50 Combat Medic here. I've done a full EV and solo healed Bonethrasher. Also a 400 Cybertechnician.

My two cents, some borrowed from research and some from experience thus far:

Alacrity is indeed the best secondary stat until you reduce your cast time on Medical Probe to 1.5 seconds. After that, Crit and Surge become more valuable. This is because Medical Probe is our only cast that is longer than the GCD. Reducing it to 1.5 seconds allows you to use an additional ability within a given frame of GCD's. Hammershot, Bacta, Kolto, Trauma, whatever suits the situation. I don't recall the hard number off the top of my head, I just keep checking it with my tooltips. Remember to account for your First Responder, as that essentially has a 100% uptime if you are using your abilities correctly.

For Earpieces, keep working on that Rejuvenating level 49 earpiece, you can unlock 4 variants of it by REing the green version(1 has Crit as the bonus stat). Choose the one that suits your gearing needs and RE that blue to the purple version. Alternately, the Tionese medic's earpiece recipe drops in EV and has something like 80 aim. Naturally, avoid anything with Accuracy on it like the plague.

So, for secondary stats I have Alacrity to 1.5 MP>Crit>Surge>More Alacrity with power wherever you can get it. Good luck!

So I should work on Alacrity to a certain point? Thus far I've just been going the Crit/Surge route. I just don't understand how I should be gearing.

I thought I summed it up pretty well at the end. You want alacrity until your medical probe is on a 1.5 second cast time with first responder up. After that crit and surge all day.

Thanks for your help man. My MP is only at like 1.75 sec right now, and I'm not sure how to get much more Alacrity, but I'll figure it out.

My crit is at like 32%, and my Surge (crit multiplier) is at 68%, though.

You can actually push your medical probe under 1.5 seconds. Your GCD on casted abilities is effected by alacrity. Thus, your gcd essentially is the exact same as your cast time.

However, I much prefer power, and crit over that stat for the larger heals and with the way ammo regens, and the coolddown on AMP, alacrity loses some of its luster for pve.

Edited by swpoop

You can actually push your medical probe under 1.5 seconds. Your GCD on casted abilities is effected by alacrity. Thus, your gcd essentially is the exact same as your cast time.

However, I much prefer power, and crit over that stat for the larger heals and with the way ammo regens, and the coolddown on AMP, alacrity loses some of its luster for pve.

Completely valid points all around but most of the time you will not be chain-casting, yet when you really need to spamheal the entire group, doing it as fast as possible can be a lifesaver.

Which makes Alacrity viable and desirable for healing. But not for DPS.

The only issue with crit is that it needs surge to be viable, and then you will be fishing for crits that tends to result in one or more out of three things:

1. Statistics are against you, player dies due to lack of crits.

2. Massive overhealing

3. Slow casts and bad RNG can cause you spend more time healing one person, being unable to respond to a developing situation on another person and losing one or both of the players.

With power and alacrity you can predict more easily what kind of a heal is required to heal people enough but without doing a lot of overhealing. It also lets you heal better on the move because of shorter cast times, and allows you to respond to rapidly changing circumstances more reliably to prevent anyone from dying.

PS. 4p set bonus reduces the cooldown of AMP by 1.5 seconds and Bacta Infusion by 3 seconds.

Edited by Ellie_