Hi, I'm A lvl 40 Vanguard, and I'm re-rolling.

imatooltoo

Okay, first off, I had NO problem what so ever with the vanguard at early levels ranging from 10-30. Once I got around to lvl 34 though, the gameplay went completely down hill.

I don't PvP, I don't tank, I wanted to try out the DPS has a vanguard. It worked fine for awhile, but It got horrible later on. I've been through the Tactics and Assault Tree multiple times, trying to see if I did something wrong last time. Hell, I even gave the Tank Tree a try. What surprised me is that the DPS you can do in the Tank tree, is on par with the damage trees! That's great and all, but what about when I want to do a FP? I'd have to switch my tree again, and again, and again.

I'm now lvl 40 as a Tactics Vanguard. I have to delete him now and re-roll a Commando because I was lied to through lvl 10-34. It's a shame that I have to do this, but I have to! I'd be doing missions and quest and kept thinking, "Wow, this sure is getting tuff now!" when it wasn't the difficulty of the quests, it was the difficulty of my class.

An AC switch would of solved this problem instantly, but guess what!? THEY DON'T HAVE ONE.

Now I know there's going to be one person who says "well, your stupid to keep playing the your guy if you knew it was ****." It wasn't garbage at lower levels. It was fun! Wow! Wee!

Please Bioware, its sad how I need to tell my guild mates that when they do make a Trooper, DON'T ROLE A VANGUARD. That's sad, and I'm not going to wait for when you do fix them and/or put in AC switching, if you ever do.

Please, if someone is having the same issue I had, PLEASE tell reply to this. I know someone out there who role'd a DPS Vanguard shares my pain.

TL;DR- too bad.

AND DON'T GET ME STARTED WITH ERROR 9000.

Edited by imatooltoo

Sounds like you just suck at the class.

I went shield till 37, then respeced to assault at 40. You loose a ton of survivability but gain a good bit of DPS. The game gets way harder in Act 2, its the same for any class.

I'm a level 25 Vanguard tank spec with a few points in tactics and i find that i do perfectly well in pvp especially Huttball where my protection is through the roof. I also tank really well in flashpoints although i did dish out a ton of credits on gear and i believe my hp is somewhere around 5760

Tactics is horrible, go assault. leveled to 50 with it no problems, yes things later on get harder but I got through it fine and you should too.

DPS from assault is much better

Edited by Arrith

Don't delete him/her!!!!! Keep the Vanguard around if you can of course. Things change/ Trees change. I'm playing both the Vanguard and Commando leveling them both around the same time and I'm finding the Vanguard more fun at the moment.

Haven't played either in PVP Because it lags like crazy for me right now so I can't give any feedback for either than the Commando even though he/she has heavy armor, still feels like a glass cannon.

It depends on what you are looking for. I like the fact that I can get in the middle of mobs and dish damage and also take the punishment. not so with the Commando at least in my experience.

Okay, first off, I had NO problem what so ever with the vanguard at early levels ranging from 10-30. Once I got around to lvl 34 though, the gameplay went completely down hill.

I don't PvP, I don't tank, I wanted to try out the DPS has a vanguard. It worked fine for awhile, but It got horrible later on. I've been through the Tactics and Assault Tree multiple times, trying to see if I did something wrong last time. Hell, I even gave the Tank Tree a try. What surprised me is that the DPS you can do in the Tank tree, is on par with the damage trees! That's great and all, but what about when I want to do a FP? I'd have to switch my tree again, and again, and again.

I'm now lvl 40 as a Tactics Vanguard. I have to delete him now and re-roll a Commando because I was lied to through lvl 10-34. It's a shame that I have to do this, but I have to! I'd be doing missions and quest and kept thinking, "Wow, this sure is getting tuff now!" when it wasn't the difficulty of the quests, it was the difficulty of my class.

An AC switch would of solved this problem instantly, but guess what!? THEY DON'T HAVE ONE.

Now I know there's going to be one person who says "well, your stupid to keep playing the your guy if you knew it was ****." It wasn't garbage at lower levels. It was fun! Wow! Wee!

Please Bioware, its sad how I need to tell my guild mates that when they do make a Trooper, DON'T ROLE A VANGUARD. That's sad, and I'm not going to wait for when you do fix them and/or put in AC switching, if you ever do.

Please, if someone is having the same issue I had, PLEASE tell reply to this. I know someone out there who role'd a DPS Vanguard shares my pain.

TL;DR- too bad.

AND DON'T GET ME STARTED WITH ERROR 9000.

So you rolled a warrior and want to switch to an elemental shaman? Not even WoW, the king of letting you get away with whatever ******** you want by paying them real money doesn't let you switch actual CLASSES. DERP

I levelled 1-50 as a shield spec vanguard. Yes, some of the quests got pretty tough towards the end but that just encouraged me to use some of my less used skills on my hotbars.

If you do all the quests on every planet you'll end up hitting 50 somewhere on Voss, after which you'll notice that mobs start to hit harder and harder (as they catch up to your own level).

Once you get to 50 and do a few FP's and dailies for mods, things get a lot easier. But there is a tough time around starting Ilum where your gear will most likely be underlevel for the planet.

Getting the PvP shield/absorb (220 rating to each) trinket was a nice boost to survivability and when you use it along with energy shield it amounts to 12-20 seconds of near godmode.

I played vanguard up to level 25. Then I hit the nar shadaa quests in the 2nd area, the one with the imperials and my mood went to the trashbin. The damage is absolutely pathetic and each silver mob takes too long to kill. You don't die ofcourse since you have elara but it's really annoying fighting those. Not to mention the style is annoying: shooting your rifle straight into the guy's face cause you need to be in melee otherwise your damage is even lower than pathetic.

Once I got grav round on my new gunnery commando it was like a whole other game. A FUN game.

I played vanguard up to level 25. Then I hit the nar shadaa quests in the 2nd area, the one with the imperials and my mood went to the trashbin. The damage is absolutely pathetic and each silver mob takes too long to kill. You don't die ofcourse since you have elara but it's really annoying fighting those. Not to mention the style is annoying: shooting your rifle straight into the guy's face cause you need to be in melee otherwise your damage is even lower than pathetic.

Once I got grav round on my new gunnery commando it was like a whole other game. A FUN game.

Yep, well they are essentially two different classes and I think a lot of people (game is new after all) have chosen Van over Commando without doing their homework first. Vans are Tanks with a little bit of DPS, Commandos are DPS with a little bit of heal. No more complicated than that.

Personally I like being a meat shield, and I like the slow and steady "I ain't dying anytime soon, son. nice hat btw." playstyle so I'm happy. There's something for everyone! :)

Edited by Pigeye

Everybody who says Vanguard does great damage have never played the other classes. SS, JS, CSage, CShadow, they do great damage. The Vanguard can dish out some decent damage, but not great.

And to the guy who said Vanguard is OP, you're using that word too loosely. The Vanguard has many tricks up its sleeves but we are far from OP. The other classes also have a lot of utilities. I have to hand it to BW for making fun classes.

Edited by SpotlessMind

The damage is absolutely pathetic and each silver mob takes too long to kill. You don't die ofcourse since you have elara but it's really annoying fighting those. Not to mention the style is annoying: shooting your rifle straight into the guy's face cause you need to be in melee otherwise your damage is even lower than pathetic.

Ditch Elara and use Jorgan. You'll put out a lot more DPS and kill things very quickly. You may have to pop a healpot now and then and rest between fights, but it's really a good way to go.

Wow, just relax guys. Different strokes for different folks.

The only point I can agree with is the Vanguard is primarily a tanking AC, that can do great DPS...but it's great DPS for a TANK.

I hope you find much better success with the Commando side of the Trooper. Overall, great class, lots of fun to play and awesome story.

Sorry Vanguard just quite wasn't your thing, but I've seen the same criticism on every class in ToR...you just have to find the one that "feels" right to you, and not the one that everyone says is OP'd.

Cheers!

So you dont want to tank but you played a tanking character? mhmm no wonder you want to reroll. Play Commando or Sentinel if you want to DPS.

Im sick and tired of people "claiming" that Commando "should" have higher dps then Vanguard! This is a misconception/false statement!

Ill say this again one last time...

Bioware has made it totally clear that they want ALL dps speccs do the same amount of damage, this is their ultimate goal and is what they are striving for (then ofc different speccs will fare more or less good depending on the situation and the mechanics of the boss/situation)!

Commando: ONE HEALING TREE and TWO DPS TREES

Vanguard: ONE TANKING TREE and TWO DPS TREES

What about the above is it that you cant get through your head(s)? What exactly is it that makes you belive a Vanguards "should" do worse DPS?

The difference between the two is in their strenghts and weaknesses as I see it.

Vanguard has greater mobility wich is a strenght but also need to be in melee/short range to maximise their dps wich is a weakness as you will have to move more (potential loss in dps) if it is a mobile fight AND you will put more stress on the healers as you will generally take more aoe damage then a ranged class will.

Commando are a ranged class wich mean they dont have to move around as much in mobile fights wich is a strenght and can more easily avoid incoming aoe damage putting less stress on the healers wich is ofc also a strenght. The weakness of Commando is that they dont have the great mobility of a Vanguard.

Point is they both have their strenghts and weaknesses and they play totally different. But there is absolutely no reason to why the Commande "should" do more dps then the Vanguard! Bioware agrees on this whatever class it is ;P

Again: Bioware has stated that their ultimate goal is that ALL dps speccs do equally much damage!