The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

PT PvP Spec?

InfernoUk

Hey guys

so i just hit 50 and need a pvp spec, its all i am interested in so not bothered about pve now im 50.

currently i use this spec, it was my leveling spec:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301G0GrdorogzZMsbZb.1

gets me top 5 dmg and 7ish medals each WZ so its not bad,

Just wondered if theres a better one you guys are going for? All specs i tried whilst leveling seem ok

Also what stats am i looking for on my lvl 50 gear for pvp focus? Ive been using aim and stamina but dont really know what the other stats are to be honest.

any vids or comments on how the spec works? seems you loose a lot by not speking far into any tree?

I do not like his spec, he's missing 40% ignore armor on RS.

Try http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301RMurbzroZ0MZbIbbdh.1

But first do you want to be pure DPS? if so go full pyro.

The 21/2/18 hybrid you get jet charge for closing, you get RS at 70% armor pen, along with it being free and venting heat, with RP/Flame burst. I've noticed a huge increase in Damage done in matches from straight ST tree, and I can still tank 4 man heroics.

is there no set best specs yet for pvp? I guess im looking at dps but with decent enough survivability. normally people work out the ideal spec pretty fast until a class change patch?

Depends on play style. Pyro is very DPS heavy with decent survival against melee. Kite those peeps around. the ST/Pyro hybrid offers more survival with a decent amount of DPS. Full ST is full survival, with min dps, however I would contend the ST/Pyro offers almost the same amount of survival with tons more damage.

Just depends on play style. It's been pretty common thought that Adv isn't that great for either.

You might consider a more ST spec for Powertech, there generally aren't enough tanks in WZ's.

I use http://db.darthhater.com/skill_calc/bounty_hunter/powertech/#::e6fe3de4de2f2e2fef11ef21 for PVP

Since I'm imperial, the majority of my matches are hutball, hence the points in Jet Speed and Advanced Tools. As far as dps is concerned, the only time I really notice my lack of damage is when attacking a healer.

Here is the basic strategies I use with this spec. They have all worked very, very well and even when I'm not grouped with anyone the game is close if not a win. When grouped, it's just a blowout.

Hutball: Primary ball carrier near opponents goal area. Use Jet Charge to advance ball. Use grapple to defend my own goal.

Civil War: Take a side turret and solo-defend. Advantage of having a tank do this is that when attacked you can prevent opponents from capping the turret while help arrives.

Also, you don't need to get into a "cry wolf" situation by calling for help when 1 person is 90 meters away and looks like they may be attacking. Being a tank, you can wait until the opponents actually commit to trying to cap the turret.

Voidstar: When attacking, you and 1 healer go right. The rest of the team waits 3 seconds then rushes left. The idea is that by seeing you go right first, the opponents will commit more than 1-2 people to the right side while the rest of your team is on the left.

On defense, the strat is similar to Civil War in that you want to solo defend a side and call for help when needed.

The best use of the tank however, is in the choke points. This is the hallway where the other team MUST go through after blowing up a door. What you want to do here is get them to attack you while you're being healed. Use as much CC as possible to slow down the people trying to run past you. What ends up happening a lot is that some attack you, and some try to run past you. With only a few running past, they are easily killed by your dps behind you. With only some attacking, you are easily healed.

There have been many matches against other pre-mades where they blew the first door quite easily but we stopped them for 3+ minutes from bringing down the shield to advance the bridge and get to the next door area.

I don't care. Flame Surge Vastly overpowers Puncture, Especially combined with the Powertech set. Play as you like, but I see a 23/0/18 as more viable than the 21/2/18 build.

Um explain how FS is vastly OP to puncture? Puncture gives RS a 40% ignore armor bonus, and with the proc's this is your heaviest hitting ability used in my experience the most. FS only effects when RP crits, so not every single RP, and i mean even if its 40% of rp's that's still not enough. And I don't waste heat on flame sweep hardly in pvp.

You might consider a more ST spec for Powertech, there generally aren't enough tanks in WZ's.

<snip>.

Yea that's why the ST/Pyro spec is used by many of us in PVP/PVE. It's totally viable as a tank, and do way more damage then a straight ST tree. Just saying.

Yea that's why the ST/Pyro spec is used by many of us in PVP/PVE. It's totally viable as a tank, and do way more damage then a straight ST tree. Just saying.

Could you link an example build? I'd like to take a look, thanks. The problem I see with using PT with ST is that PT depends on having combustible gas cylinder active.

Edited by ZeusThunder

Flame sweep isn't used as a primary aoe dps ability. It's best use for PvP is to prevent opponents from capping points, and also to do some hp damage to a large mob that is about to kill you.

Why I said hardly. That means once in a while I do, specific situations.

However, my response is to the guy I quoted on why he took Flame Surge over Puncture. He says FS is vastly superiour to Puncture and I just don't see how that's possible.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301RMurbzroZ0MZbIbbdh.1

I use this for PvP, 4 man hard modes. Have not tried raids yet.

Yeah, this wouldn't work for me only because so many matches are hutball. Need the reduced CD on electro dart and grapple, as well as speed boost after jet charging. I see where you're going with it though.

Doesn't a lot of superheated rail get lost though when you have Ion Gas Cylinder active? Or if you are using incindiary missile as a starter, aren't you running into heat issues in fights that last more than 10 seconds or so?

hey guys

just wnated to add, i dont care about flashpoints at all im 100% pvp. i get top 3 dmg currently with that ST spec so just wanted to see how i could spec to get number 1 (this is dmg im talking about) but obviously most important is medals

hey guys could anyone post me the 21/2/18 spec? i see it mentioned a lot and wanna try it but cant find an actual build layout link !

Thanks !

Look up like 3 posts. Some points are personal preference. The main one is the 18 in pyro/ 2in adv. Some of the points in ST can be moved around for your preference.

Yeah, this wouldn't work for me only because so many matches are hutball. Need the reduced CD on electro dart and grapple, as well as speed boost after jet charging. I see where you're going with it though.

Doesn't a lot of superheated rail get lost though when you have Ion Gas Cylinder active? Or if you are using incindiary missile as a starter, aren't you running into heat issues in fights that last more than 10 seconds or so?

You can move some of those points around. Yes you won't get the speed boost after jet charge, but the rest you can get if you want.

Always have IGC active. That's why your wasting 3 points in pyro, to get to Superheater rail. I hardly ever run into heat issues, especially if i'm being beat on because of RP procs.

So you open with missle, RS, RP, then if RS procs RS. I can chain like 4-5 RS's in a row with Rp's/FB in between, it's amazing devestating.

The biggest flaw with the build is you have to waist points to get superheated rail since you only use Ion Gas Cylinder.

Heat problems are minimal, basically you keep up your missile dot, then use rocket punch on cool down and other wise are alternating flame burst and rapid shots, when rail shot procs you hit it (I'm over-simplifying but you get the gist of it).

It's actually a very good build for Huttball, you have mobility with the rocket pack, you still have your grapple, you have the slow with ion gas cylinder, you do decent damage, not as much as say a pure pyro build, but enough that opponents can't simply ignore you, and your tanky enough to carry the ball through several attackers and score.

Basically the two best builds for PVP for Powertechs that I've seen are high end Pyro if you want a pure damage dealing spec, and the shield/pyro hybrid if you want a balance between very good surviability and decent damage.

The only reason I don't use the hybrid build more is cause outside of pvp I mainly run as DPS, and the cost spec changing gets ridiculous fast, if/when they introduce dual spec I'll being running the hybrid spec as my main pvp spec, though admittedly it will be mainly to get rocket pack...

Edited by Dharagada

The biggest flaw with the build is you have to waist points to get superheated rail since you only use Ion Gas Cylinder.

Heat problems are minimal, basically you keep up your missile dot, then use rocket punch on cool down and other wise are alternating flame burst and rapid shots, when rail shot procs you hit it (I'm over-simplifying but you get the gist of it).

It's actually a very good build for Huttball, you have mobility with the rocket pack, you still have your grapple, you have the slow with ion gas cylinder, you do decent damage, not as much as say a pure pyro build, but enough that opponents can't simply ignore you, and your tanky enough to carry the ball through several attackers and score.

Basically the two best builds for PVP for Powertechs that I've seen are high end Pyro if you want a pure damage dealing spec, and the shield/pyro hybrid if you want a balance between very good surviability and decent damage.

The only reason I don't use the hybrid build more is cause outside of pvp I mainly run as DPS, and the cost spec changing gets ridiculous fast, if/when they introduce dual spec I'll being running the hybrid spec as my main pvp spec, though admittedly it will be mainly to get rocket pack...

I feel this. LUckily for me, I'm tank outside pvp, and since I can tank 4 man HM's in this. I'm all set.

You can move some of those points around. Yes you won't get the speed boost after jet charge, but the rest you can get if you want.

Always have IGC active. That's why your wasting 3 points in pyro, to get to Superheater rail. I hardly ever run into heat issues, especially if i'm being beat on because of RP procs.

So you open with missle, RS, RP, then if RS procs RS. I can chain like 4-5 RS's in a row with Rp's/FB in between, it's amazing devestating.

this is the other one i found,

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301RMurbzroZ0MZbIbbdh.1

any issues with that??

Hmm this is really interesting to me. I notice no specs include Oil Slick. Am I being a complete Tard, this seems a good survivability skill to me. Does it not effect players only mobs or something?

Only affects melee. If it was a buff on yourself, it would be awesome. Since there are a ton of range in PvP, it's kinda useless. IMO anyways.