The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

What spec are you guys using for pvp?

squattosan

I've been playing around with a few specs in Van, just can't find one that seems to be working very well for me. I'm just curious what you guys are trying for pvp? What seems to be working well?

I tried tank spec but still feel very squishy. I see juggernauts doing pretty well with pvp tanking and I kind of want to go that route. But if there is a dmg spec that is doing well id be open to trying that.

I too, am curious about a really solid pvp spec. There is a post on the first page here that has like 4 specs posted. I am debating if I want to remain full shield spec, or go the gut route....

Ah here was the post again. See if any of these work for you.

31/8/2 pvp full shield spec:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801rRGbbMrogzZMsbZb.1

30/11/0 ShieldGut spec:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801rRGbbMrogZMsr0o.1

23/18/0 StormGut spec

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#80...MboMZMsrro0c.1

21/2/18 StormBolt spec

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#80...boZ0MZbIbbdh.1

Edited by Xezkaiel

There's not really a whole lot of point in going the shield spec at least until you're high level, it doesn't do a whole lot for you in terms of damage mitigation unless your gear is high level and decently statted, iirc.

At level 37, I'm full-on Shield Spec and have been so since around Level 20. I absolutely love it. Paired up with a decent healer, I find the build to be highly capable in Warzones.

Guarding targets, using taunts, etc. are some of the most impactful things that you can do in PvP as a Vanguard. Being able to churn out decent DPS while doing so just really adds up to a fun experience for me.

EDIT: Storm is an absolute must. I cannot image playing a Vanguard without it.

Edited by IlexGlabra

Note that those specs are specifically for pvp tanking. There are several dps specs that would have to be added to make a really comprehensive list- at the very least, a full tactics, an ion tactics, a full assault, and an assault/tactics hybrid.

I tried just about everything and I've settled on tanking in pvp. My buddy who is a healer just glued himself to me and we dominated warzones all night last night. In one round a had 97k protection and he had 440k healing from all the people trying to burn me down but couldn't.

The level 40 pvp gear made a huge difference for me.

I've been PvP'ing in games like SWG, DAoC, WoW, etc. and as far as specs go each spec really has to be catered and tweaked to your playstyle. Definitely use some of the many fine specs here to build upon and watch Vids from guys like Taugrim to fine tune your playstyle, but no one will be able to tell you your spec. Drop some credits and try a spec for several days with and without a healer. You can respec for free once a week

The level 40 pvp gear made a huge difference for me.

I've looked at the Level 40 PvP stuff and I'm not really impressed. It's, more or less, the same as Blue Level 38 armor. The RE'd Purple Level 38 pieces easily surpass the Lvl40 PvP ones. As an armormech, I think I'll probably just pass them over and save my commendations for Champion Bags when I hit 50.

I've looked at the Level 40 PvP stuff and I'm not really impressed. It's, more or less, the same as Blue Level 38 armor. The RE'd Purple Level 38 pieces easily surpass the Lvl40 PvP ones. As an armormech, I think I'll probably just pass them over and save my commendations for Champion Bags when I hit 50.

You can only have 1000 commendations at a time, so if it takes you that long to save them... :cool:

how can you say that when clearly the pvp gear LOOKS better?! just mod it up keep the looks baby!

If you are good at kiting (ie from a hunter/warrior pvp background in other games' pvp) I would recommend 0/31/10

Using Plasma Cell, I feel as though this is the strongest kiting spec possible - you will be able to constantly keep you foes in your 10m kill range, close on them for stockstrike at will, and prevent them from escaping, while denying your foe's ability to do the same to you.

Some people will say yes you can do the same with 10/31/0 but don't forget though, stockstrike has cooldown but ion pulse does not, stockstrike is also 4m while ion pulse is 10m, so you will be much more successful at kiting with 0/31/10.

Edited by aRtFuL