PCGAMER rates SWTOR 93/100

DarthPeterNorth

so i guess all the complaints and concerns are null/void now.

pcgamer also gave AoC an 8/10 and Cata a 9.3/10. so theres obviously alot of grey area because AoC should probably be an eggplant/10. eurogamer gave swtor 8/10 and cata an 8.2/10.

but a website says they like this game. it must be true. calm down.

edit: (lol only leveled to 10)

Star Wars: The Old Republic review

Josh Augustine at 10:00pm December 22 2011

Comments 222

thumb1

Editor’s note: This review is based on our impressions from our first 85 hours in the game as an Imperial Agent who reached level 35. Some endgame elements were not ready to be evaluated at the time of this review, but as always, we will follow-up this review with constant and regular updates of our impressions as the game progresses here at http://www.pcgamer.com and in the magazine. — LD

This review is based on our impressions from our first 85 hours in the game as an Imperial Agent who reached level 35.

Edit.

Should I make that bigger so people might see it? I am just saying some of you are jumping on a bandwagon based on a lie.

Edited by titanmike

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the 100-300 million development costs that varies between the two numbers. I just went with the higher one since I wanted to assume Bioware had something to sniff up their nose while agreeing its ok.

So now it's a range? And quite a large one at that from $100-$300M

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/star-wars-mmo-costs-an-estimated-80-million-to-develop/

So unless someone can cough up some source on $300M, that inference of "This answers the question where the 300 millions went tbh" is sort of void because it's based off of something wildly inaccurate?

Reviews for MMO's are generally fairly inaccurate. Because reviewers blast through the leveling process but don't really do things like end game content or PVP, or gloss over issues.

I'd probably give the game 7/10. It's fun but ultimately a shallow experience.

I dunno... if they got into EGA (which I'm sure they did on day 1) that means they've had at least 7 extra days of game. On top of the count we are currently on, Day 15, that brings it up to approximately 22 days of game. And then if you consider the time spent in the last phase of Beta just before release (which is more or less the exact same build as the release Build) you could have about 35-45 Days of experience with the game. I'd say that is probably a pretty fair judgement on an MMO.

I mean, it's just as fair as YOUR judgement of the game - right? The difference is... no one cares about your judgement. Lots of people care what PC Gamer says. And let's not forget - the reason WoW did so well was because of the reviews... plain and simple.

PC Gamer just made this game a complete success.

the 100-300 million development costs that varies between the two numbers. I just went with the higher one since I wanted to assume Bioware had something to sniff up their nose while agreeing its ok.

the 300 million cost was just a rumor and not official. No official development costs have been announced but a simple google search has multiple sources stating EA says SWTOR devleopment cost could exceed 80 million, this was as of may 6 2011. since no other credible numbers are out there the only logical number to go with is 80 to 100 million.

This review is based on our impressions from our first 85 hours in the game as an Imperial Agent who reached level 35.

Edit.

Should I make that bigger so people might see it? I am just saying some of you are jumping on a bandwagon based on a lie.

and youre riding a game review like its etched in stone for 30,000 years ago. the reviews for aoc said it was going to be the greatest game on earth and that turned out to be false. cataclysm was hyped up and not that exciting either.

its all opinion and should be taken with a huge grain of salt. that goes for any/all game reviews. hell im excited about guild wars 2 based on reviews/videos but it could be a giant ball of terrible.

the 300 million cost was just a rumor and not official. No official development costs have been announced but a simple google search has multiple sources stating EA says SWTOR devleopment cost could exceed 80 million, this was as of may 6 2011. since no other credible numbers are out there the only logical number to go with is 80 to 100 million.

And if they sold 1 million copies of the game and averaged $5 a copy they already exceeded quite a bit more then even 300 million.

It looks like they sold over 1 million copies, and I say they should have (I am just guessing) made at least $5 on each copy profit.

That review is from Dec 22.Although it may seem not to long ago,they said they played 85 hours then wrote the review.

Thats not enough time to compile a review and I dont care where the review comes from.

If the game is all that ,why are we seeing this.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=127084

Im not bashing your post but I have a real big feeling if we dont some of the issues addressed real soon,PC mag will have a different review soon.

How can you review a game at launch? Stupidst thing ever thats not believable based on my experience with the game.Seriously.

Editor’s note: This review is based on our impressions from our first 85 hours in the game as an Imperial Agent who reached level 35. Some endgame elements were not ready to be evaluated at the time of this review Edited by WarTornPanda

"30 minutes had passed since my insectoid ally had asked me. It was a simple question—did I intend to resist his claim to this land?—made complicated by the previous eight hours of politics, betrayal, espionage, and war. I didn’t know what to do. After consulting five different people (including my wife over the phone), I reluctantly made my choice on the familiar BioWare dialog wheel and betrayed my always-faithful insectoid allies in order to defend the man who’d just slain his own wife to prove his loyalty. I felt used."

This was the first paragraph of the review. It's quite clear that this reviewer got into the spirit of the game, and decided to grade it on its own merits, instead of judging it in comparison to other games.

This review is valid.

and youre riding a game review like its etched in stone for 30,000 years ago. the reviews for aoc said it was going to be the greatest game on earth and that turned out to be false. cataclysm was hyped up and not that exciting either.

its all opinion and should be taken with a huge grain of salt. that goes for any/all game reviews. hell im excited about guild wars 2 based on reviews/videos but it could be a giant ball of terrible.

I am, here let me quote me on the first page, apparently you skipped that page.

Its the post where I said who cares what anyone else thinks as long as you like it, that one.

You know, post #7 (including op).

And yes, I mad.

Who cares who likes or does not like the game?

Ask these questions.

1) Am I having fun?

2) Is it worth the monthly fee?

3) Do I find the time I spend in game worthwhile?

If the answers are yes, then who cares what anyone else thinks.

well at least youre not as mad now. that was really my only reason for posting anyway. glad we sorted that out

Good, can we be BFF forum buddies now? :p

Sorry I kinda bowed up on you there it was totally uncalled for.

I get a lot of negative vibes from the forums but it helps pass time at work.

Edited by titanmike

also metacritic rates swtor at 8.7/10 and a user rating of 6.1.

im sure if we look hard enough we can find a site that says swtor is 10/10 and 0/10 and anywhere in between.

same goes for every game reviewed.

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE OPINIONSSSSSSSSS!

ITT

Internet mathematicians

Internet financial advisers

People butthurt about cata

People butthurt about SWTOR

Allow me to address these issues. Everyone, stop it.

Just because you're on the internet and have a calculator doesn't make you a mathematician, a financial adviser, or anything with any ability to make accurate statements about the finances of the game. Almost everything in this thread is based on a rumor with no solid backing, an assumption with no solid backing, and/or an estimate that was pulled out of nowhere. You are not able to make any kind of accurate statement about the finances of the game.

As as far as ratings go, saying LOLCATA is not a real response. I'm going to skip how just about every single person who thinks Cata is a bad game is entitled, made stupid assumptions that screwed themselves over, is whining, built up unrealistic expectations, or is otherwise completely off-base entirely due to their own fault.

Cata has 10 million active subscribers, more than every single other major MMO on the market....COMBINED. Just because a minority of players jumped ship for ridiculous reasons (for example, whining that the game caters to casuals or the game caters to elitists, because it obviously can't do both but when people are quitting for both reasons.....at least half of you are wrong) doesn't make it a bad game. I've been waiting for over a year for someone to give a legitimate reason of why it sucks, but it hasn't happened yet.

Edited by dreadpirateandy

Good, can we be BFF forum buddies now? :p

Sorry I kinda bowed up on you there it was totally uncalled for.

I get a lot of negative vibes from the forums but it helps pass time at work.

i think we should form like voltron and make the greatest forum poster in history. you can talk about the parts of the game that are awesome, and ill talk about the parts that are clownshoes.

sound like a plan?