Mark. Story of a sad, useless and utterly boring man.

ITSAmeee

mmmh didn't really know what title give to the post, but since it is about marks...

Yesterday I hit 50 (gogo me!) and entered the first Warzone ever. I know, I was going through my class quest/story first and I'm not really a PvP guy anyway. But well, while I wait for my friends to get to 50 and do some Flash Point together, I jumped in a couple of Warzones.

Something hit me already during my leveling: the amount of marks and different currencies in this game. Every planet has its own.

But with the Warzones it all got to the next level (and I didn't think it was possible). Let me get this straight:

You do a warzone and get marks, which you use to buy other marks, which you use in combination with the first one to buy a bag which yes may contain an object but most importantly...contains another kind of marks, which (finally) you will use to buy your PvP pieces.

Earn Mark A, convert Mark A in Mark B. Use Mark A + Mark B to buy a bag that contains Mark C. Use Mark C to buy PvP items.

I'm not a Developers, my studies had nothing to do with game design or whatever, but maybe someone out there can answer to this simple question: why? why this system?

Why not simply changing the cost of items and the speed you earn Marks A and have me use only Mark A? I mean, it is not like Mark B and C are any different from Mark A anyway, their are "concentrates" if you want, nothing more. Changin cost and speed of Mark A should be enough to avoid all this concentrates-conversion thing.

Am I missing something?

The Mercenary commendations are there to promote world PvP. This may or may not work as more people reach higher levels, but what you're asking about is design intent:

You're converting Mark A into B because it's easier to do that than get B on its own (for now). However, the idea is to earn A and B separately, and maybe swap some over to the other side to make up the balance.

Mark A can be used by itself to buy gear at lower levels, as Mark B is only obtained in its normal fashion by high level players.

Mark C is used as a consolation prize if you don't get an item piece from the A + B bag.

I found the info here:

http://gamestrats.com/swtor-pvp-gear-guide/

This is basically how you gear up for PvP at the moment:

- First of all, you do Warzones and you earn [Warzone Commendations]

- with the [Warzone Commendations], you can buy [Mercenary Commendations]. The ratio is 3:1 (30:10).

- then you use 200 [Warzone Commendations] and 200 [Mercenary Commendations] you buy 1 [Champion Gear Bag]

(you can also see this simply as: 1 [Champion Gear Bag] = 800 [Warzone Commendations])

Now, what you find in the [Champion Gear Bag]? Well, the back can contain:

OR: 3x [Centurion Commendation]

OR: 1x [Centurion Commendation] and an [unassembled Champion Piece]

The [unassembled Champion Piece] is basically a random piece of PvP armor and the [Centurion Commendation] instead is actually the currency you buy the PvP pieces with.

So the pat has been:

earn [Warzone Commendations] -> convert some into [Mercenary Commendations] - spend a combination of the two (200 each) for a Bag -> bag contains [Centurion Commendation]

then [Centurion Commendation] is what you spend to buy items.

To me (and I think that's how it is), the [Centurion Commendation] is nothing else but [Warzone Commendations]. I just kept converting [Warzone Commendations] at different ratios. the Bag might as well cost 800 [Warzone Commendations] and suddendly we don't need the [Mercenary Commendations].

"Wait, but you can use [Mercenary Commendations] themselves to buy items". Well, [Mercenary Commendations] are nothing else that 1:3 [Warzone Commendations]. Make those items sell for 3 times the number of Mercenary as Warzones. Done.

And the [Centurion Commendation], again, are nothing else but [Mercenary Commendations]. this time is just not a fixed ratio (800 Mercenary for 1 Centurion + random item, OR 800 Mercenary for 3 Centurion).

What's the reason of all these names and marks? Why not make players earn marks and price items in a way that would prevent all these ratio conversions?

I personally don't see it as a good design having my currency tab filled with marks that are nothing else but the same copy of the first one, just with a hidden multiplier and a different name.

eram mark to buy mark to buy mark to buy mark to buy mark....why not change/correct/fix/work out/balance the income/outcome for the first mark on players and have them use only one currency?

As I said, I'm just curious about this choice if anyone can explain why "this is the good way" if it is :)

The Mercenary commendations are there to promote world PvP. This may or may not work as more people reach higher levels, but what you're asking about is design intent:

You're converting Mark A into B because it's easier to do that than get B on its own (for now). However, the idea is to earn A and B separately, and maybe swap some over to the other side to make up the balance.

Mark A can be used by itself to buy gear at lower levels, as Mark B is only obtained in its normal fashion by high level players.

Mark C is used as a consolation prize if you don't get an item piece from the A + B bag.

read yours only after I posted mine. thank you.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.