The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Servers Up Very Early! But Why...

Alohen

Yeah I suppose, but you'd think Many are doing it so that more than 30 things got fixed per week.. I'd expect they do about 20 things per day if they were doing there job.. then again I dont know how Hard their jobs are...

That's not the only thing you don't know.

Holy crap.

I don't expect everyone to know how to build software (or fix a car, or wire a house) but was this a joke or are you just that out of touch with technology? I work on a large service, used by about as many people as SWTOR and I fixed one bug this morning. It took four hours. And that was because it was critical and fast-tracked and we deferred the QA testing for later. I put out a one-line fix last week. It took 20 minutes to fix and rebuild. It took an hour to update the source code and attach the relevant case numbers and bug reports. It took an hour to deploy it in the testing environment and 4 hours to run it through the regression tests. Of course, we're not stupid enough to do full regression for one line of code, so it waited a couple days for some other fixes. Then it took 4 hours to be installed live.

And you think that any developer "doing their job" is going to fix 20 bugs a day, when some of them can't even be duplicated? Are you on drugs?

Perhaps you shouldn't be claiming that people don't know how to do their jobs when you know nearly nothing about how software is made.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not the only thing you don't know.

Holy crap.

I don't expect everyone to know how to build software (or fix a car, or wire a house) but was this a joke or are you just that out of touch with technology? I work on a large service, used by about as many people as SWTOR and I fixed one bug this morning. It took four hours. And that was because it was critical and fast-tracked and we deferred the QA testing for later. I put out a one-line fix last week. It took 20 minutes to fix and rebuild. It took an hour to update the source code and attach the relevant case numbers and bug reports. It took an hour to deploy it in the testing environment and 4 hours to run it through the regression tests. Of course, we're not stupid enough to do full regression for one line of code, so it waited a couple days for some other fixes. Then it took 4 hours to be installed live.

And you think that any developer "doing their job" is going to fix 20 bugs a day, when some of them can't even be duplicated? Are you on drugs?

Perhaps you shouldn't be claiming that people don't know how to do their jobs when you know nearly nothing about how software is made.

Win.

And these people who think that every bug should be fixed within an hour are also the ones who don't have to stare at lines of code for hours upon hours trying to figure out where the bug is, and then figure out if fixing that bug is going to break something else in that or even another function.