how do mercenary healers play?

nvmvoidrays

I would say that's a decent assessment. But you cant really compare it to any one WoW-class (or other MMO healing class I've played).

It has the kolto shell, which is an earthshield-like ability (using WoW referenses since you seem familiar with them). Good single-target healing abilities, one with a specced-into HoT (think regrowth), an insta-heal on a CD, an equivalent to Nature's Swiftness and a ground-target AoE heal on a CD that heals up to 3 targets. This is what limits the class' AoE healing capabilities.

All of this coupled with an arcane mage-like resource system.

I've healed in a few different MMOs. WoW, DAoC, CoH/V etc and this is the first time I've had a healing class with this kind of mechanic. Really fun getting into a new way of playing. :)

topic.

from what i've read from their talents, they appear very 'paladin-esque', to con a WoW archetype. that is, excellent single target healing capabilities, but they have problems dealing with AoE damage.

am i accurate in my statement?

It is almost exactly like paladin healing in TBC. Except you get NS and the Rapid Shot is the FoL replacement which heals even less than FoL (not that FoL healed enough to be useful in Sunwell anyway).

Heat as a resource just means that you can't bomb heals ever and have to pace yourself. That said, while Kolto Shell is useful and a nice chunk of healing, it isn't enough to change the way you heal. You are still a tank healer that is extremely limited when it comes to group damage. It also shares much of the holy paladin's reliance on crit, though for different reasons (throughput as opposed to longevity).

It is more along the lines of lvl 60 paladin with infinite mana if you do a correct rotation with added bonus of kolto shell and instant cast oh **** heal if fall behind. You can spam Healing Scan and Rapid scan almost indefinitely if you weave in maybe 1 auto attack between and make good use of heat management cooldowns.

Healing Scan for critical efficiency > 2 rapid scans > auto attack/emergency scan and repeat and you never go over 20 heat.

If it is heavy damage period hit your supercharged gas use a kolto missile for the shield reduction and spam healing scans and use your emergency scan.

Edited by Nissin

Did Paladins have an equivalent of Kolto Missile? I never played, so I can't really talk too much about it, but there's basically two situations of importance:

Standard Rotation:

Healing Scan -> Rapid Scan -> Rapid Shots until larger heal is needed -> go to beginning

AoE Rotation (must have charged CSC):

Supercharged Gas -> Kolto Missile -> Healing Scan on each target -> Vent Heat (as needed) -> Rapid Shots and Rapid Scan to recharge CSC -> go to beginning as needed

Fully talented, the AoE rotation results in a 10% damage shield on all targets, a HoT on all targets, +10% armor on all targets, and +5% healing received on all targets. Our heals in an AoE situation are very dependent on that extra mitigation.

A few other notes: the cost-reducing buff from Healing Scan for Rapid Scan applies to you, not the target, so you can Healing Scan one player and Rapid Scan another and still get the bonus. Also, Kolto Shell is free and instant cast. It's WORTH MOVING IT if a non-tank draws aggro. Kolto Shell DOES crit and CAN benefit from heal bonuses on the target.

Edited by TroglodyteJB