For all the complaints that we're underpowered...

raynr

For all the QQ that is in this thread about how we're "underpowered" in PvP, I felt the need to reiterate a simple point:

Any class is as good as the player! (Don't know if that makes 100% sense, but you get what I mean)

Though I'm only level 24 on my Merc, I come from a pretty competitive PvP background (Rift, WoW, Warhammer), and can tell how this class will feel come endgame. Its not that we lack CC or escape mechanisms. The key to this class is positioning and knowing when to do what. Keep your distance from big fights. You also can't sit there and spam Tracer Missiles and ask to be interrupted. Try to implement fake casting (i.e. cast a Tracer Missile, cancel it, cast a PowerShot, get interrupted on a subpar skill), mix your rotation up. Be on your toes. This is what makes this class fun.

People also need to understand, this game isn't balanced around 1v1, I would say its balanced more around 4v4+. I don't know why people worry about 1v1 so much, when 60-70% of the time, you will have teammates around in a war-zone, supporting. Regardless, if you practice the class, understand the CC we have, its not that hard to kill a melee class 1v1. We have some of the best burst damage in the game, and its up to you to figure out how to utilize it in any given situation.

Anyway, TL;DR -> I love this class because it keeps me on my toes. Positioning is very important. We have enough CC, that any good player can use to do well in PvP. Don't let all the QQ threads overwhelm you. Play the class and prosper.

Edited by raynr

skill obviously matters but saying it's 0% or 100% is about as much of a blanket statement as saying gear either doesn't matter at all or is everything. Class balance is class balance, go tell marauders that it's just them being bad at their class and see what kind of responses you get.

Mercs are soft targets really.. low escape possibilities and pretty much rooted while doing damage.

But if allowed to wreck havoc on the other team.. we do pretty ok damage.

At level 24, I believe you still have a lot to learn and experience.

When the 50's start exceeding 15k hp unbuffed things get pretty brutal, which I am sure you know if you done some warzones :)

Closing in on rank 50 myself, but that does not say anything about skill or performance sadly as you can do that by constantly loosing.

But you do see the flaws of your class.

Would be nice with some changes, yes.

Passive heat reduction from Rapid Shots?

Faster runspeed as an escape option (OR some wicked ninja rocket boost jump with the same mechanics as Hutt Ball Throw).

Another snare that won't root you while channeling for it to work, i.e cylinder snare from Pyrotech would be handy in the arsenal tree.

Optional, change the gfx of tracer... my character has back injuries already.

I don't think it can really be denied that we're lacking a severe amount of utility at the moment, especially compared to Powertech (but as I've said in other posts, almost every archtype with DPS/tank variants is like this... DPS classes get shafted pretty badly in SWTOR on that front). A ranged interrupt would work wonders. A lot of people quote Rocket Punch and Jet Boost whenever our lack of interrupts is brought up, but honestly it's asinine to expect a squishy ranged DPS class to run into melee range every time it needs to stop a cast. They're obviously meant to be used defensively, not offensively. Edited by Rimbaldo

...a squishy ranged DPS class...

We wear heavy armor and can heal ourselves, how exactly is that squishy? I have to agree with the OP, the greatest strength or weakness of the Mercenary is the person at the controls.

We wear heavy armor and can heal ourselves, how exactly is that squishy? I have to agree with the OP, the greatest strength or weakness of the Mercenary is the person at the controls.

Heavy armor doesn't really count for much in and of itself, tank classes use other stats outside of their armor rating that make them difficult to kill. And our healing isn't good enough to survive being focused by well geared 50s unless you're Bodyguard spec. All spamhealing as an Arsenal Merc will accomplish is overheating yourself and dying a couple of seconds later than you would have with no healing at all. Trust me, against competent opponents you're just as squishy as a Sorcerer without the added benefit of their shield.

Edited by Rimbaldo

...a squishy ranged DPS class...

Hmm. You can go ahead and read what I said above again if you want, I don't see the point in copy/pasting it word for word as an entire new reply.

For all the QQ that is in this thread about how we're "underpowered" in PvP, I felt the need to reiterate a simple point:

Any class is as good as the player! (Don't know if that makes 100% sense, but you get what I mean)

Though I'm only level 24 on my Merc, I come from a pretty competitive PvP background (Rift, WoW, Warhammer), and can tell how this class will feel come endgame. Its not that we lack CC or escape mechanisms. The key to this class is positioning and knowing when to do what. Keep your distance from big fights. You also can't sit there and spam Tracer Missiles and ask to be interrupted. Try to implement fake casting (i.e. cast a Tracer Missile, cancel it, cast a PowerShot, get interrupted on a subpar skill), mix your rotation up. Be on your toes. This is what makes this class fun.

People also need to understand, this game isn't balanced around 1v1, I would say its balanced more around 4v4+. I don't know why people worry about 1v1 so much, when 60-70% of the time, you will have teammates around in a war-zone, supporting. Regardless, if you practice the class, understand the CC we have, its not that hard to kill a melee class 1v1. We have some of the best burst damage in the game, and its up to you to figure out how to utilize it in any given situation.

Anyway, TL;DR -> I love this class because it keeps me on my toes. Positioning is very important. We have enough CC, that any good player can use to do well in PvP. Don't let all the QQ threads overwhelm you. Play the class and prosper.

Good use of big font. I just love that these are mostly wow trolls in here whining as if bioware is even reading this and going to make any changes for them. Because you can't patch stupid.

lets not hide this.. mercs is run and kill. If you get focused by a few enemies you get dead (just like anyone else).Just dead faster than a tank.

As for healing yourself apart from the obvious overheating issue, it has advantages. Maybe you buy yourself a few seconds to let allies come over and help you out? Maybe the heat (no pun intended) gets transferred to another target as most people have an attention span of mere seconds in pvp.

But if left alone for 30 seconds with a couple of targets in view the merc wrecks havoc.

Not to mention the possibility to choose which target to root for a minute (the healer that is out of combat and spamhealing th jedi in melee for example) and the obvious benefits of boost and punch.

Once spotted though.. well .. your best ally is LOS and heal, and dart, and run

Edited by Wisz_Rethon

Though I'm only level 24 on my Merc, I come from a pretty competitive PvP background (Rift, WoW, Warhammer), and can tell how this class will feel come endgame.

If you have a pvp background then you know

1) you are 24 you dont even know about half of your skills yet

2) you are not pvp geared and if you pvped in wow you understand what a difference that actually is

3) in all games... yes ALL games there is a class that is underpowered

4) in all games... yes ALL games there is a love and nerf bat always swinging

assuming that all 4 of those statements are true... go level up, get some pvp gear, get some experience in 4 man pre-made pvp groups, then come back and make a comment, I only quoted what I read of your post because, well, honestly we are all new to the game but you are not even close to having enough information at your level to form an educated opinion.