Trayes PVP build

Trayes

these specs do not look so good you are giving up most of the late talent tree abiilites that help you actually alot these dont the dps and you have to use fillers in certain trees and a casting melee dps will get rolled on by anyone going the normal chain shock build ..

i hate to bump this thread

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

these specs do not look so good you are giving up most of the late talent tree abiilites that help you actually alot these dont the dps and you have to use fillers in certain trees and a casting melee dps will get rolled on by anyone going the normal chain shock build ..

i hate to bump this thread

It's not always about getting the end abilities in a tree. Usually people will go to the third to last tier and then stop there and go to another tree because wasting 6+ points to get an end tier ability just isn't worth it for how much you give up elsewhere. This is why I'm a hybrid of 0/17/24. I pick up what I want/need from both trees that provide dps, support, and survivability.

Since you are spamming thrash aside from using Shock, why not drop 2 points out of Shroud of Darkness and put those points into Thrashing Blades? 6% more damage on your spammable skill is going to be worth more than 2% hp.

Since you are spamming thrash aside from using Shock, why not drop 2 points out of Shroud of Darkness and put those points into Thrashing Blades? 6% more damage on your spammable skill is going to be worth more than 2% hp.

The build that I use 27/14/0 has both Thrashing Blades and Shroud of Darkness.

In the 23/0/18 spec 1 Shock is 2600 damage and potentially (45% chance) another 1300. I use the DPS set with this spec and get 3 charges of recklessness, so losing one to a double shock proc doesn't bother me as much.

Instant whirlwind is an awesome skill, but you need to be mindful of how and when you use it. Putting it on someone will give them a full (WHITE) resolve bar if someone else tags them. I try to use it on RDPS that hang out 30m away (HINT: Removes Snipers from cover for pulling), or on MDPS that's looking like he is about to charge in. It's especially useful to change a 2v1 into a 1.3v1, and is very good at saving your healer from an Scoundrel's alpha strike.

Like you were saying, having ran the spec, I would never give up non-stealth spike and force pull for PVP. There is no better huttball plot-twist than pulling a ball runner who is passing pit #2 back into a lit pit #1, add spike for extra crispy.

im playing this specc with the master gear for the 5 meter more range on shock as shock is on eof the main spells, the 0.5% more heal on crushing darkness is just a little bonus

and i prefer the 23/0/18 over the 27/14 build coz of deathfield.. deathfield saved so many games where the carrier with ball runs out of range.. force grip wasnt rdy same as the stuns and oterh cc and so it killed the carrier or other ppl wich try to run away or stealkth away u normaly wouldnt get

dont forget that force lighning only has a long range when u active recklesness and u dont have it everytime.. so i think the deathfield build is overall more flexible and has some range dps when everything breaks

Edited by Seronimos

im playing this specc with the master gear for the 5 meter more range on shock as shock is on eof the main spells, the 0.5% more heal on crushing darkness is just a little bonus

and i prefer the 23/0/18 over the 27/14 build coz of deathfield.. deathfield saved so many games where the carrier with ball runs out of range.. force grip wasnt rdy same as the stuns and oterh cc and so it killed the carrier or other ppl wich try to run away or stealkth away u normaly wouldnt get

dont forget that force lighning only has a long range when u active recklesness and u dont have it everytime.. so i think the deathfield build is overall more flexible and has some range dps when everything breaks

I just love HD+Recklessness+FL right now in my sub par gear does 5400 damage and 12%(8 in pvp) healing. I cant wait to get better gear.

If you were in your 30's, would you recommend building out madness or darkness first? Or a mix?

I'd stick with Madness at low levels for PvP because as Darkness you'd play with a style where you're expected to get hit,t and at a low leve you'll have a hard time standing toe-to-toe against level 50 opposition. While I don't think it's paramount to avoid death, if you die way too fast then you're obviously not contributing much.

I just love HD+Recklessness+FL right now in my sub par gear does 5400 damage and 12%(8 in pvp) healing. I cant wait to get better gear.

i think the tim eu use fpr chaneling FL u can do way more dmg with ur other styles .. u also have overall more dmg with 23/0/18 then the other builds

u do have more survivabilit with 27/14 coz of the selfheal but thats all.. when u dont have HD rdy u dont do a lot dmg

and even when u channel FL chances to get knockbacked when u fighing each other in close position is pretty high

Edited by Seronimos

well I can comment after 2 days of solid play using your spec as well as the 23/0/18 and the tri shock 21/12/8 and I can attest the specs are garbage. You dont gain that much more survivablity and your burst is bad and the ramp up time is abysmal. Yea it gains a decent amount of control but not having no burst and having huge ramp up time to even get good damage isa huge turn off.

I will be going back to 2/31/8 because it has great burst, low slash is amazing as another inturrupt vs healer or a set up for Maul, plus it has superior consistant damage with surging charge + discharge, Voltaic slash is far superior to the damage of Thash plus it has a lower animation time which doesnt conflict with Biowares epic failure of GCD locking. I also gain 2 min force cloak, and Crackling Blast + Recklessness is superior and less ramp up time then either of the other spec.

More Burst, same control, superior on target damage and better escape with arguably less survivability, ill take my odds with my spec any day. Good luck enjoying your spec though.

well I can comment after 2 days of solid play using your spec as well as the 23/0/18 and the tri shock 21/12/8 and I can attest the specs are garbage. You dont gain that much more survivablity and your burst is bad and the ramp up time is abysmal. Yea it gains a decent amount of control but not having no burst and having huge ramp up time to even get good damage isa huge turn off.

I will be going back to 2/31/8 because it has great burst, low slash is amazing as another inturrupt vs healer or a set up for Maul, plus it has superior consistant damage with surging charge + discharge, Voltaic slash is far superior to the damage of Thash plus it has a lower animation time which doesnt conflict with Biowares epic failure of GCD locking. I also gain 2 min force cloak, and Crackling Blast + Recklessness is superior and less ramp up time then either of the other spec.

More Burst, same control, superior on target damage and better escape with arguably less survivability, ill take my odds with my spec any day. Good luck enjoying your spec though.

I am just going to say user error... Enjoy your 2/31/8. I don't mind. But saying you don't gain much survivability is a flat out lie. Also you say you get low slash and act like the other spec doesn't have spike while out of stealth AND it isn't broken on damage.

Also how do you deal bad damage with 27/14/0 or even 23/0/18. Both have huge damage. Not as high as Deception but for sure its not low. You also get force pull and that is a HUGE deal.

Since you're copy pastaing this in various threads, ill post this here as well...

You can't play 23/0/18 like a deception spec. Nor do you play it like a sorc. I NEVER just stand there and free cast. Your procs pop enough to where you never have to, and when you have a decent amount of Crit, the procs come early and often. That's probably your first mistake... Secondly, if you use the control you gain it DOES increase your survivability. I'm not saying L2P, just that you may need to adjust your playstyle to better fit the strengths of the spec. Pick your battles wisely and you won't have much trouble.

I usually wear dps gear with a shield generator and dark charge and do about 85% of the damage I would in a full blown deception dps spec. Does it make you an unstoppable juggernaut? No! Does it allow for operative like burst? No! But it does offer you the opportunity to fight a fight on your terms whenever you choose to do so, plus you have added utility to either stay on Target at your discretion, or escape whenever you please if you're not being zerged in a 3/4v1. Also you can do a fair bit of destruction when weaving in and out of group battles because of your added aoe dps and the fact that many don't look at assassins as a high priority PvP Target. The key to the spec is getting in as unnoticed as possible, dropping your aoe bombs, dotting people up, and getting out of dodge. A useful tip to making this more possible is to use the Discharge ability on Dark Charge only when in a big/huge fray, as most players are drawn to attack anyone with giant lightning animations as if they were moths to a bug lantern.

Like I said, IMO its the best, because it suits my playstyle. It may not be for everyone. I think the problem is that people want a 1v1 playstyle that utterly trashes their opponent(seeing how a large portion of the SWTOR population are converted WoW arena players, this is understandable). If that's your thing, go with deception. If you don't mind being a utility PvPer who can literally trash an entire group and let your teammates finish them off, go with 23/0/18. I guess I just prefer the latter. Remember above all else, that SWTOR in it's current PvP state, is a TEAM based/Objective based game. Not a "let's go skirmish some noobs away from the REAL action in the warzone" game.

Edited by Cowflab

Since you're copy pastaing this in various threads, ill post this here as well...

You can't play 23/0/18 like a deception spec. Nor do you play it like a sorc. I NEVER just stand there and free cast. Your procs pop enough to where you never have to, and when you have a decent amount of Crit, the procs come early and often. That's probably your first mistake... Secondly, if you use the control you gain it DOES increase your survivability. I'm not saying L2P, just that you may need to adjust your playstyle to better fit the strengths of the spec. Pick your battles wisely and you won't have much trouble.

I usually wear dps gear with a shield generator and dark charge and do about 85% of the damage I would in a full blown deception dps spec. Does it make you an unstoppable juggernaut? No! Does it allow for operative like burst? No! But it does offer you the opportunity to fight a fight on your terms whenever you choose to do so, plus you have added utility to either stay on Target at your discretion, or escape whenever you please if you're not being zerged in a 3/4v1. Also you can do a fair bit of destruction when weaving in and out of group battles because of your added aoe dps and the fact that many don't look at assassins as a high priority PvP Target. The key to the spec is getting in as unnoticed as possible, dropping your aoe bombs, dotting people up, and getting out of dodge. A useful tip to making this more possible is to use the Discharge ability on Dark Charge only when in a big/huge fray, as most players are drawn to attack anyone with giant lightning animations as if they were moths to a bug lantern.

Like I said, IMO its the best, because it suits my playstyle. It may not be for everyone. I think the problem is that people want a 1v1 playstyle that utterly trashes their opponent(seeing how a large portion of the SWTOR population are converted WoW arena players, this is understandable). If that's your thing, go with deception. If you don't mind being a utility PvPer who can literally trash an entire group and let your teammates finish them off, go with 23/0/18. I guess I just prefer the latter. Remember above all else, that SWTOR in it's current PvP state, is a TEAM based/Objective based game. Not a "let's go skirmish some noobs away from the REAL action in the warzone" game.

A proper deception spec has a lot of survivability combined with burst. 85% of the burst of deception is ********, I have full battlemaster/champion gear and I've experimented with this build for a couple days and it's just not nearly as good. It's true that shock does 4k max vs 6k max for deception build but you lack proper discharge and maul for that extra burst.

Deception spec also allows you to guard/taunt people while doing loads of damage, giving you more flexibility and utility. The added burst helps bringing down the enemy lowering pressure on your team.

Raze isn't proccing often enough (got like 21% crit with buff) but when it does it's somewhat useful. Doesn't nearly make up for surge discharge and maul though.

This build is useful when you have a proper healer+premade and are doing BGs. The extra survivability allows you to tank the enemy team while holding flag/door/ball and as such is a useful premade spec.

With this spec I had around 23% dodge, 41% absorb, 44% shield rating. Using adrenals and pvp buffs I critted shock around 4.2k max.

P.S: Double shock is so mediocre. If there was anywhere better to put points i'd do it in a second.

Edited by Varatesh

A proper deception spec has a lot of survivability combined with burst. 85% of the burst of deception is ********, I have full battlemaster/champion gear and I've experimented with this build for a couple days and it's just not nearly as good. It's true that shock does 4k max vs 6k max for deception build but you lack proper discharge and maul for that extra burst.

Raze isn't proccing often enough (got like 21% crit with buff) but when it does it's somewhat useful. Doesn't nearly make up for surge discharge and maul though.

This build is useful when you have a proper healer+premade and are doing BGs. The extra survivability allows you to tank the enemy team while holding flag/door/ball and as such is a useful premade spec.

With this spec I had around 23% dodge, 41% absorb, 44% shield rating. Using adrenals and pvp buffs I critted shock around 4.2k max.

P.S: Double shock is so mediocre. If there was anywhere better to put points i'd do it in a second.

You can call BS all you want, I'm telling you for a fact that 23/0/18 is more than capable of putting out massive dps. I never compared burst, I just said damage. What you lose in burst you make up for in sustained damage. Especially when you can AoE out the wazoo. I didn't know we were talking about solo queueing. That's just masochistic in this stage of the game.

If you have a dedicated healer with you, as I do more often than not, you can wear dps gear with high Crit. Which more than makes up for the short comings you mentioned offensively.

Finally, I do agree that deception has a good amount of survivability with proper CD management but your margin for error is much smaller.

Edited by Cowflab

You can call BS all you want, I'm telling you for a fact that 23/0/18 is more than capable of putting out massive dps. I never compared burst, I just said damage. What you lose in burst you make up for in sustained damage. Especially when you can AoE out the wazoo. I didn't know we were talking about solo queueing. That's just masochistic in this stage of the game.

If you have a dedicated healer with you, as I do more often than not, you can wear dps gear with high Crit. Which more than makes up for the short comings you mentioned offensively.

Finally, I do agree that deception has a good amount of survivability with proper CD management but your margin for error is much smaller.

I am a good PvP'er, former gladiator in every season I played WoW except for S4 (when I quit for Age of Conan). Not that that is saying much but I do like to point out I am just not your average gamer.

When I cant put out half the damage in either of these hybrid specs compared to a full deception spec then I am pretty sure I know its not that great. It is fun because you do gain some things as I stated i na previous post but you lack total burst and your ramp up time is bad. As a deception spec my ramp up time is right now. I jsut feel with this spec you have to be more of a finesse player and not expect things to die but to play like a pain in the ***, which this spec does a masterful job at. However I want to top DPS or kills or killing blows meters when I am in a WF, and this spec will never ever do none of those.

Besides the last thing I should state is that anyone even a monkey can do well if they have a dedicated healer behind them.

I am a good PvP'er, former gladiator in every season I played WoW except for S4 (when I quit for Age of Conan). Not that that is saying much but I do like to point out I am just not your average gamer.

When I cant put out half the damage in either of these hybrid specs compared to a full deception spec then I am pretty sure I know its not that great. It is fun because you do gain some things as I stated i na previous post but you lack total burst and your ramp up time is bad. As a deception spec my ramp up time is right now. I jsut feel with this spec you have to be more of a finesse player and not expect things to die but to play like a pain in the ***, which this spec does a masterful job at. However I want to top DPS or kills or killing blows meters when I am in a WF, and this spec will never ever do none of those.

Besides the last thing I should state is that anyone even a monkey can do well if they have a dedicated healer behind them.

So basically you're a glorified dueler who solo queues? I'm not saying that as an insult, as it is a means to enjoying the game. however it is not how I prefer to play nor do I believe it being a playstyle that is condusive to a team/objective based pvp system. Do what works for you. I personally would rather be a pain in the *** and widdle a group of opponents down to 50% health or lower so that my burst support can finish them off quickly and effectively and move on to the objective and or next "mini battle." Not every bit of pvp is based around whether you can win a 1v1 skirmish.

Once again, not an insult, just an observation. Alos, yes I know it's easy for anyone to do well with a dedicated healer, but my own healer would be the first to tell you that in the team/objective based pvp of SWTOR my hybrid spec is far more effective at helping us win and much easier to heal than when i was deception trying to burst down single targets every couple of minutes.

So basically you're a glorified dueler who solo queues? I'm not saying that as an insult, as it is a means to enjoying the game. however it is not how I prefer to play nor do I believe it being a playstyle that is condusive to a team/objective based pvp system. Do what works for you. I personally would rather be a pain in the *** and widdle a group of opponents down to 50% health or lower so that my burst support can finish them off quickly and effectively and move on to the objective and or next "mini battle." Not every bit of pvp is based around whether you can win a 1v1 skirmish.

Once again, not an insult, just an observation. Alos, yes I know it's easy for anyone to do well with a dedicated healer, but my own healer would be the first to tell you that in the team/objective based pvp of SWTOR my hybrid spec is far more effective at helping us win and much easier to heal than when i was deception trying to burst down single targets every couple of minutes.

Nope didnt take it as an insult. You are correct I solo queue 75% of the time, because I dont typically play well with others unless they are as good as me and I get far frustrated in a guild or group setting with people I consider bad, and thats not a knock on my guildies or friends but typically I consider myself a great player. I enjoy Deception the most because it offers me the most bang for the buck and I almost always kill my target when I do pop out of stealth. I usually never have fewer then 3-4 deaths per warfront and am typically the #1 in killing blows, and that is my playstyle that I enjoy the best. The specs listed here just dont offer me that amount of pure killing power.

Again to each their own and its nice to see people enjoy a varity of specs out there, my only comment is for the 70% or more of normal Assasins who do nothing but solo queue. My comments were to inform those sitting on the fence that this spec does not do well in a pug setting which the vast majority of the players will be participating in.

Deception spec also allows you to guard/taunt people while doing loads of damage, giving you more flexibility and utility. The added burst helps bringing down the enemy lowering pressure on your team.

i wonder why ur deff stats are so high when u only have to use shield generator. ur stats say to me u used more then the generator wich is pretty wrong unless u want to play it more tanky

dont forget she shock cd finisher with a 50% chance on trash wich makes teh dmg pretty high and a 100% crit on shock

and pls tell me where does a "good" deception has good survivabilty? it has nearly nothing u stay longer alive with the darkness ofeensive builds wich results in more dmg

Edited by Seronimos

So how are you gearing towards those 3 builds - 23/0/18, 27/14/0, 0/31/0 core?

For mostly deception answer is pretty simple I guess, normal offhand with crit build, but how about 23/27 darkness? Is shield generator enough?

Edited by EncoreSWTOR

and pls tell me where does a "good" deception has good survivabilty? it has nearly nothing u stay longer alive with the darkness ofeensive builds wich results in more dmg

We got passive 40% dmg reduction, dodge abilities, trinket that increases shield/absorb and shield generator. It's not much, but combined with tank stance and heals it keeps me alive.

The guaranteed crit on shock IS nice, but I don't think it gets +50% crit dmg with recklessness AND the crits it does while decent are our only high dps ability with this spec.

P.S: My stats posted above were with full champion/battlemaster defensive set.

So how are you gearing towards those 3 builds - 23/0/18, 27/14/0, 0/31/0 core?

For mostly deception answer is pretty simple I guess, normal offhand with crit build, but how about 23/27 darkness? Is shield generator enough?

Unless you have ****** gear and/or aiming for max dps go for shield generator. The mitigation it offers is more useful than the extra stats on focus. I only use focus when aiming for 5k damage medal.

Edited by Varatesh

Nope didnt take it as an insult. You are correct I solo queue 75% of the time, because I dont typically play well with others unless they are as good as me and I get far frustrated in a guild or group setting with people I consider bad, and thats not a knock on my guildies or friends but typically I consider myself a great player. I enjoy Deception the most because it offers me the most bang for the buck and I almost always kill my target when I do pop out of stealth. I usually never have fewer then 3-4 deaths per warfront and am typically the #1 in killing blows, and that is my playstyle that I enjoy the best. The specs listed here just dont offer me that amount of pure killing power.

Again to each their own and its nice to see people enjoy a varity of specs out there, my only comment is for the 70% or more of normal Assasins who do nothing but solo queue. My comments were to inform those sitting on the fence that this spec does not do well in a pug setting which the vast majority of the players will be participating in.

I would still beg to differ about the 23/0/18's killing power. I'm still more than capable of winning 1v1's and random skirmishes within the WZ as I often do. I just don't like being limited in that role and that spec offers me the chance to do more. I understand your reasoning for going full deception if you solo queue though. Where you have to kill quickly and conceal, I can take my time sucking the life out of my opponents and breaking their will. If they have friends that come along, good! Because mine are a short voice communication away as well. That is a luxury you're not afforded solo queueing.

May I suggest curbing your temper and dare I say, ego in order to fully enjoy the game as it is intended to be played? I promise that if you can get passed that you will have far more fun than you ever could solo queueing. Playing with a "noob" isn't always a bad thing because if they listen, you have yourself a GREAT student of the game. My healer wasn't always the best PvP companion. He had to learn through hard knocks and experience. But now he is a vital part of any match we play as he alone can turn the tide of battle. If you nurture a good relationship with a player who is willing to learn, you will not regret it. Conversely, it made me better because early on I had to compensate for his lack of experience. Now that he plays well, anytime I go defensive he is near impossible to kill.

Edited by Cowflab

I would still beg to differ about the 23/0/18's killing power. I'm still more than capable of winning 1v1's and random skirmishes within the WZ as I often do. I just don't like being limited in that role and that spec offers me the chance to do more. I understand your reasoning for going full deception if you solo queue though. Where you have to kill quickly and conceal, I can take my time sucking the life out of my opponents and breaking their will. If they have friends that come along, good! Because mine are a short voice communication away as well. That is a luxury you're not afforded solo queueing.

May I suggest curbing your temper and dare I say, ego in order to fully enjoy the game as it is intended to be played? I promise that if you can get passed that you will have far more fun than you ever could solo queueing. Playing with a "noob" isn't always a bad thing because if they listen, you have yourself a GREAT student of the game. My healer wasn't always the best PvP companion. He had to learn through hard knocks and experience. But now he is a vital part of any match we play as he alone can turn the tide of battle. If you nurture a good relationship with a player who is willing to learn, you will not regret it. Conversely, it made me better because early on I had to compensate for his lack of experience. Now that he plays well, anytime I go defensive he is near impossible to kill.

Listen I understand your reasoning for the last paragraph. But you must understand the vast majority of gamers dont do the whole group thing very well due to numerous issues. Mine are mainly bad's but I also despise waiting around forming the perfect group, it is the #1 reason why I detest raiding. I understand this is a Masssively Multiplayer but I play these games solo 75% or more of the time and I usually dont bother to group for anything, and I am in the majority of gamers who play this way. To each their own I guess.

Listen I understand your reasoning for the last paragraph. But you must understand the vast majority of gamers dont do the whole group thing very well due to numerous issues. Mine are mainly bad's but I also despise waiting around forming the perfect group, it is the #1 reason why I detest raiding. I understand this is a Masssively Multiplayer but I play these games solo 75% or more of the time and I usually dont bother to group for anything, and I am in the majority of gamers who play this way. To each their own I guess.

You're correct, to each their own. You definitely undermine the amount of time it takes to get a solid PvP group. It took about 4 hours to form ours and now that we are comfortable with each of our roles and have synergy with each other we steamroll all day, every day. I'm not trying to convert you to anything you're not willing to do. Just pointing out that the juice is definitely worth the squeeze. Not to mention you're only looking for 3 other solid players, not 39. It really doesn't take that long and the risk reward balances out way farther in the reward spectrum as long as you can be patient for a few hours.

But by all means, play as you like. It's your $15 after all is said and done. I guess I'm just the type of person that tries to maximize my investments

Edited by Cowflab