Story quality - Jedi Knight vs. Smuggler

Rugi

So I have both a Jedi Knight and a Smuggler, both in their teens. I love both classes and have been wracking my brain over which one I actually want to main and take to 50 first. I'm afraid of leveling my choice to whatever level only to find that the story isn't all that interesting, which would make me want to reroll.

So for all of you Smuggler and Jedi players, which story do you find to be most entertaining / engrossing / interesting between the two?

The smuggler story makes me want to quit playing the smuggler. Well, let me clarify, the class story I do not have problems with. It''s all the side quests that make me feel like a Republic soldier or merc. Some have me doing police type work lol.

I realize I could skip those missions, but it seems like I would only be making things more difficult on myself. Plus, they could possibly be precursors to more important ones. So if you don't have the problem I mentioned then the smuggler should be ok.

Edited by Qoojo

The smuggler story makes me want to quit playing the smuggler. Well, let me clarify, the class story I do not have problems with. It''s all the side quests that make me feel like a Republic soldier or merc. Some have me doing police type work lol.

I realize I could skip those missions, but it seems like I would only be making things more difficult on myself. Plus, they could possible be precursors to more important ones.

I really agree with this. I wish the class writers had collaborated more with the general quest writers. I hope in the future we get more balanced quests flavor-wise.

So with the Jedi you feel like a Jedi, but with a Smuggler you never feel quite like a smuggler. Is that about right?

I love my smuggler but that is pretty close. So, I decided to go light side with my smuggler and play along with the side quests. I didn't want to miss them but they do not have a smuggler feeling at all. At least most of them. To me they feel more along a mercinary line.

I've played around with both of those and found them totally different experiences and both heaps of fun. The key for me was to roleplay my responses. My Jedi Knight very strictly conforms to the Jedi Code, there's lots of choices I as a player wouldn't chose in the same situation but my Jedi does, I love how the plots are written and they allow you to conform to the Jedi code which is quite different sometimes from conforming to a free democracy with a moral core that isn't based on zealotry. Amongst other things it means my Knight won't be persuing any innapropriate relationships.

My smuggler on the other hand isn't quite sure about the Republic, dislikes authority figures, enjoys giving lip and is just out for the money, well most of the time. Every now and then he comes across something so atrocious that he just has to lend a hand - it's the benefit of being free anyways, being able to change your mind. The reactions he gets from NPC's when asking about money first and more money later is often hilarious sometimes a little sad or dark but a really fun balance to the strict morality of the Jedi. My Smuggler is getting rich, jokes with soldiers and flirts whenever possible! Just through 'roleplaying' my conversation choices with NPC's he's developed an almost equal amount of dark and light side points.

I've had really different experiences with both classes but I think that is because of how I decided to play them. If you're still deciding, I'd say pick the one you'd most like to roleplay, not with with 'thee' and 'thou' and bowing and dancing but roleplay simply through making consistant choices in NPC conversations.

I've played through all of the Smuggler story, so i'll give you a non spoilery rating.

1-30 (Act/Chapter 1) was fantastic. Absolutely fantastic. If it ended there I would have been happy. Then it slows down. Way down. Progressively towards 50 I became less and less engaged and motivated by my class story, and the last few levels felt rushed, almost like they ran out of ideas. Obviously this is just one guys opinion, and i'm sure some people will disagree, but I was underwhelmed in the end.

Edited by Edarias

I'm playing smuggler and I decided to go light side. The class story is good, but I don't feel like a smuggler. In one quest my character answered something like: "smuggling is illegal."

... :rolleyes:

My Smuggler is also light side and did that during a certain heroic quest involving spice on the starter planet. I was just "Ooooook, apparently my Smuggler has multiple personalities."

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.