Want to help, but need your help ;) Making a pvp video

Tytra

Hi all,

First of all congrats on picking the best class ingame.

I am actually asking your help on how to properly record pvp footage to put onto youtube.

On my server I have been asked a number of times what skills/keybinds/combos etc,

I use to top dps and kill charts while having a very low death count. I think the best way to demonstate this would be showing you footage while helping as best I can.

So before I can do this, I need advice on how to record. I am decently tech savvy but never recorded a ingame video before. The hardware/comp I use to play is a Republic of Gamers Laptop.

Any information on what to do would be great. Then as soon as possible I will record some matches so you guys can see.

Thanks in advance

Tiamat-Juyo 50 consular shadow

Fraps would be your ideal software for ingame recording. I'm sure you can guess how to obtain a copy. This will record in raw format your gameplay, however this is far too large to upload to youtube. So you will also need some rendering software, I use Sony Vegas 10. Again, you can guess how to obtain a copy. All your rendering settings can be found on youtube. Just search your rendering softwares name and 'Rendering Youtube HD' There are a ton of tutorials.

I hope this helps you

Thank you for the reply. I understand the fraps thing. Have to buy the software and usually records up to five minutes, then restarts a new recording. The editing part is something that I am unfamilar with. Is there currently a way to take ingame screenshots. I tried my screenshot button but nothing happened. If so please let me know and if you can see the pictures under your star wars folder. Thank you again and I apologize for the noobie questions ;)

Also if I get fraps could I just upload it to another video site like mediafire or trueshare. Do you happen to know how long frap videos go for? I read they are usually around 5 mins then it starts a new video. Im not good with editing so could I upload the first 5 min video, then upload the second video if thats the case? Sorry again just trying to figure this all out lol

Thank you for the reply. I understand the fraps thing. Have to buy the software and usually records up to five minutes, then restarts a new recording. The editing part is something that I am unfamilar with. Is there currently a way to take ingame screenshots. I tried my screenshot button but nothing happened. If so please let me know and if you can see the pictures under your star wars folder. Thank you again and I apologize for the noobie questions ;)

The actual recording should not be broken up, your fraps onscreen display will be red [Red means you are recording] until you stop. The raw file itself might be broken up into several sections, this is normal. When you use your rendering software to render the video, meaning when you make your Raw recorded file into something much smaller. You simply put each clip one after the other and it will render into one complete movie. It will make sense once you try

As for Swtor screenshots the bind is the same as all other mmos. Print Screen. There will be a screenshot folder in your My documents Library. Click start button on task bar and My documents. You will see the Swtor folder

I hope this helps you

You cannot upload fraps Raw file, the file size is stupid large. I'll give you an example, A Raw file for 48 seconds can be 1.1 gigs, after rendering it can be 48 megs. You need to render your recorded footage before you upload it to anything. If you want something free then youtube your issue. "Free Rendering software" and you will find several suggestions.

What are your thoughts on Bandicam. I was reading that it automatically compresses the file while allowing for larger video footage. Could I get something like that and just upload the raw footage to youtube. I am not worried about sound or commentary at the moment. Taking one step at a time with this lol

I believe Xfire will allow you to do everything you desire, I suggest looking at their website and checking out youtube for reviews. It will record vids and allow you to upload them to their site without the need for you to do anything. Edited by venomania

Awesome ty, I wish I was a bit more techy to make them really stand out but honestly just gameplay footage is what ppl have been asking about. I ll try xfire and see how it goes then go from there.

Thank you again for all your help I appreciate it ;)

Oh sorry one more question. Is xfire the same software that lists what your friends are playing, etc. Does it actually record videos, reason I ask is I am unable to open the link at work so not sure exactly what it does.

Thanks

Xfire is a gaming social network like Steam, except it's also an ingame recorder... and it also allows you to stream directly to the xfire website.

It's a self sufficient gaming network. It will give you a friends list so you can see friends who also use xfire.

When you record footage it will save as a clip, which you can then view through your xfire software, and then choose which ones you want to upload. They will upload directly to xfire website and render themselves. You can then give your xfire vid link to friends for them to watch.

Also, how about not uploading your vid with obnoxiously loud crappy music. That seems to be synonymous with PvP video and doesn't have to be.

You can have your crappy music accompanying your vid just don't set it 20,000 times louder than every regualr vid on Youtube.

Edited by Skeptical

I've just started out recording footage and editing myself and I use Fraps to record the in-game footage as mentioned previously and Sony Vegas to edit & render. As also mentioned about loud heavy metal or any loud music can be annoying, but as long as it's relatively quiet I think it's fine.

As always though depending on feedback you can change the way you make them :)

My first few are here, which aren't the best but I don't think they're the worst either.