The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Is the powertech the tank version?

Edenwolf

Taunting reduces enemies damage done to other players until they hit you, which is pretty nifty in PVP. It grants defense in warzones which will give you medals, and, of course, reduce incoming damage for your friends.

And yes, you can also guard 50% incoming enemy player damage on a friend. :)

You're generally pretty tough to take down as Shieldtech (tank spec) and you can deliver a quite decent amount of damage to your opponents!

If so, is the tank spec viable for pvp? Does it have the guard ability that reduces all incoming damage by 50% if standing near a player like the guardian has? What else do they get to aid their brothers in arms?

Yes, check out the post on the front page, someone asking about hybrid specs. You CAN go full Tank for PvP, your damage will be a bit underwelming, but you'll get a ton of medals for Protection. And you can carry the huttball well.

Now, I'm hybrid ST/Advanced. I do decent damage and lots of protection. I still carry the ball and still can take a ton of damage.

You can guard someone. Taunting also works if they aren't attacking you, it reduces their damage done. I use my AOE taunt every CD and normal Taunt every CD.

Now some people say the hybrid can work in 4 man hard modes, I haven't tried it, I always respec back to full ST.

Defence powertech have better survivability and more rooting ways that other powertech spec's. I have played most of my time as tank geared and defence spec powertech in pvp server and I have done ok in pvp both in outworld pvp and and wargrounds.

I am not unkillable but I have won most on one on one pvp encounters againts players that are about same level than me.

DPS is lower than in pure DPS spec's but on the other hand you stay alive longer. That guard shield is imba I always put it on who I think is best dps or healer in the my side warground team. If you can keep best dps in team alive as long as possible sheer effect of that is what many times carry your team to victory.

Good think is also that by protecting other players you could earn medals from pvp too.