The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

[Video] PVP Tips for Powertech's Grapple Pull Ability

taugrimtaugrim

*This video has footage of Vanguard but the tactics and tips discussed are the same for Powertech.

The video provides detailed educational commentary on using the Grapple ability, which is a ranged pull that can be used for killing opponents, preventing them from scoring, and peeling for friendly players.

As discussed in the video, to maximize the impact of a pull:

1. you can stun your opponent after pulling them into an acid or fire pit

2. you can spec into the tanking tree to gain a 3-sec root effect

Make sure to not waste your pull ability on a target with a full or a declining Resolve bar as the target is immune to CC in both cases.

For more discussion about this video, please check out the blog article:

http://taugrim.com/2012/01/03/swtor-pvp-video-gameplay-tips-for-vanguards-harpoon-powertechs-grapple-pull-ability/

Great tip.

Another thing to look forward to doing in Voidstar :)

Excellent advice. I never thought to bunnyhop in n out of the acid pit. Once I get a better graphics card and I dont lag so badly I'll have to try it and reallocate those points I have in the grapple immobilization to grab either the remaining 4% fire dmg or 6% aim.

Edited by BlazingShadow

very cool vid, also watched your lvl 20 vid. Got a lot of good tips that I'm going to try tonight (I'm a noob in MMO PvP)

I do have a question for you, you are setting a guard on the healer but you are an Advanced Prototype, does this mean you are using the Ion Cyl instead of the High Gas one? If so why

very cool vid, also watched your lvl 20 vid. Got a lot of good tips that I'm going to try tonight (I'm a noob in MMO PvP)

I do have a question for you, you are setting a guard on the healer but you are an Advanced Prototype, does this mean you are using the Ion Cyl instead of the High Gas one? If so why

So I've tried the following setups in order:

1. Advanced Proto with Ion Cylinder

2. Shield Tech with Ion Cylinder

3. Advanced Proto with High Gas Cylinder

Originally I was running #1 so that I could output good burst and sustained DPS while still guarding targets.

When I hit 26 I decided to switch to the tank tree, get the 3-sec root for Grapple, and get the talents that buffed Ion Cylinder. The issue I ran into is my sustained and burst damage took a significant hit due to not having points in the middle tree talents.

I finally decided to try #3, and I found my overall performance was much stronger, especially with the 15% passive run-speed buff in Advanced Proto. Granted I can't Guard with that cylinder, but I can still taunt, stun, pull, and my ability to kill targets and shutdown healers was much better.

At endgame I'm considering a hybrid ST/AP build or AP/ST build, in which case I'll probably run the tanking cylinder again.

If you happen to be on the spawn-shelf at the time the enemy team tries to go for a score, you can pull the ball carrier up to the spawn-shelf and they will instantly die and drop the ball.

Anything that resets a player like that seems like an unintended mechanic, so I don't do that.