Cybertech and Mercs

Maisen

Hello! When I started my merc (PVP toon) I chose cybertech just for grenades because of the lack of CC on it, but now I can say that I wrong: 5 minutes of cooldown SHARED with all the other grenades is useless for the price of them or the efforts to reach lvl 400 or comparing to the mighty bioanalysis.

What do you think if BW put in a lvl 50 merc ability that reduce the grenades cooldown to something like 1m30s or 2m ? This could give a chance to 1vs1 without unbalancing anything, could give more option other than bioanalysis and make me happy thinking I do something good as crafter for my merc :(

Discuss (and hope BW read it if it's good :) )

I did the same thing. Would have been nice to know that

A. The grenades are on a 5 minute CD

B. The share CD with each other.

Arsenal mercs utility is sub=par compared to most other classes or specs. Tracer missile should do a minimum of 2500 baseline damage, ESP for a 1.5 sec stationary cast. I get hit on by melee all day long for 2k as they chase me.

I started another bounty hunter...but I just cant stomach leveling another toon atm...instead, I canceled my account.

When bioware can make arsenal mercs pvp viable through more damage, better survivabiity and mobility I will resub, till then I am not wasting my time again in an MMO waiting for the devs to figure it out.

Bioware can not afford to make the mistakes blizzard did, the people that got burnt on bad class design in wow will not put up with it here.

because of the lack of CC on it

Hmmm....

Concussion Missle + Electro Dart + Grenades = 3 CCs... One lasts a minute, the others for a few seconds.

+ Jet Blast, while not a CC it is a knockback, interrupt, and slow.

+ Rocket Punch knockback/interupt (If you talent it)

I'm missing the lack of CC and the like.

Cybertech also = BIS earpieces.

Hmmm....

Concussion Missle + Electro Dart + Grenades = 3 CCs... One lasts a minute, the others for a few seconds.

+ Jet Blast, while not a CC it is a knockback, interrupt, and slow.

+ Rocket Punch knockback/interupt (If you talent it)

I'm missing the lack of CC and the like.

Cybertech also = BIS earpieces.

You make it sound like a lot more than it actually is:

- Electro dart is a basic 4-sec-stun; all classes have such a stun, except that comparable abilities of other classes are actually better (they either last longer, have an additional effect such as damage, or at least have a shorter animation)

- Concussion missile might theoretically last a minute. However, it has a long casting time, a long cooldown, ends when the target takes damage, and gives the target a huge amount of health regeneration while stunned. It might be of limited use in solo pve, but is totally useless in both PvP and raid-boss fights.

- Rocket punch is a knockback (but without any stun or knockdown aspect), but only pushes the target back 4 meters. What's the range of melee attacks in SWTOR? Exactly, 4 meters... so if the target is 0 meters away, he is actually still in melee range after a knockback... even if you hit the target when it is 4 meters away from you, the target will be back in melee range in about 0.2 seconds. As for the interrupt, yes, it interrupts, but a melee interrupt is of very limited use for a ranged class like the mercenary. IMHO the skill is only useful in very specific pvp-situations on the hutball map.

- Jet boost is an area knockback + short snare. In PvE it might be somewhat useful, in PvP it does not really help: All ranged classes simply keep firing from their new location, and all melee classes have very effective ways of countering it (e.g. step back + force jump, grapple, force speed,...). Again, it is useful on the hutball map, but that's about it.

One final point: Compare mercenary CC with the CC abilities and anti-CC abilities of all other classes in the game. Almost all classes are superior in this respect.

One final point: Compare mercenary CC with the CC abilities and anti-CC abilities of all other classes in the game. Almost all classes are superior in this respect.

Please do. I will admit limited knowledge of other classes abilities and would be interested in this comparision.

Edited by jshupe

The only real way to stand a chance for a merc in 1vs1 is only outdamaging the enemy, but even if the merc DPS is good, in real world now it isn't so, the only way to win a fight 1vs1 melee is in huttball pushing away people with so many "useful" knockback.

The problem isn't the merc, the other classes are, they have more CCs, useful one and a comparable DPS (or better healing).

To me, a way to balance things AND give some use of cybertech in PVP is reducing the cooldown of grenades, a really simple fix