The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

My take on Energy Blast. (opinion!)

Daning

Initially I thought this skill would be cool to have, as a 31 pointer it surely must have at least a decent animation! Sorry, that's just not happening. The animation, as been stated before, have a terrible induction time and feels very slow. So much that I try to avoid using it because it feels like it slows down my rotation by quite a lot. This is probably my biggest issue with it.

Oh lord, the damage is sub-par. And really I just go for the ion pulse instead most of the time, even hammershot. Granted I am a tank and damage shouldn't be my top concern. So the ammo regen then... well that's mostly a crutch if you ask me. With proper resource management and use of your cooldowns this should not be an issue, ever.

I've run into problems with this skill and without it, and every time it has been me being careless with my resource management. Thus, I opt out of taking this talent. Even if I don't pick up gut - which it seems a lot of people do, and I understand why - I feel like that one single point is better put somewhere else.

I've read people trying to justify taking EB because eventually the higher tier gear will give a set bonus that lowers the cooldown. Yes, it lowers the cooldown on EB by 1.5s, essentially giving the crutch training wheels.

This is me just ranting a bit, but I can't for the life of me see why I would ever need EB, it doesn't even generate extra threat which would seem logical for a tank.

tl;dr: EB is a crutch IMO.

Edited by Daning

Hardly a crutch. Allows you to use specific abilities more to increase AE threat and stay in the upper teir of regen. Some like EB some don't...some can use it to maximize threat and some don't. Should it be a 31 point talent? Probably not, but that is where it is.

Hardly a crutch. Allows you to use specific abilities more to increase AE threat and stay in the upper teir of regen. Some like EB some don't...some can use it to maximize threat and some don't. Should it be a 31 point talent? Probably not, but that is where it is.

I'll give you that, for AoE it's helpful, but so far from doing OPS and Hardmode FP's, it's more convenience to spam your AoE abilities and use EB to alleviate the hefty ammo cost. But anyhow, I welcome any and all thoughts on the matter :)

Havend try the gut version yet, but i do like energy blast. It give me a full a attack that those a bit more than base attack and in the same time give a ammo back, really helps keeping me in the highest regen area.

shock strike - high impact bolt - energy blast - ion pulse works well for me as a opener on single target.

Althou i think making it 2 ammo would make it better and worthty compare to many other end talents. Am thinking about trying the gut way also, simple for having a nice internal damages DoT (high damages since must have low damages migration to that) hell just writing this makes me wanna go that way, argggg.