The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

What a Troll is and isn't

Conundrum-NSA

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[4] The noun troll may refer to the provocative message itself, as in: "That was an excellent troll you posted".

It does not mean anyone who posts something you dislike. The continued use of it in that context just makes you look silly.

I think i'm in love with you for that.

I'm sick of people using "troll" to mean "any post i don't personally agree with"

Also, heres alittle history for you.

Troll, contrary to popular belief, has NOTHING to do with the mythological, bridge dwelling creatures.

Its actually a fishing method, hence terms like "biting" and "feeding the troll"

I think i'm in love with you for that.

I'm sick of people using "troll" to mean "any post i don't personally agree with"

Also, heres alittle history for you.

Troll, contrary to popular belief, has NOTHING to do with the mythological, bridge dwelling creatures.

Its actually a fishing method, hence terms like "biting" and "feeding the troll"

Yup, not many know that though. I bet we're likely a little above the median age here.

Lol so true i would get funny comments from guild mates in wow when I was tell them I was off "Trolling for mats" when I was off looking for mats for crafting.

Posts that are inflammatory and meant to provoke negative reactions or disrupt constructive discussions are considered trolling and not allowed.

Just because a negative post causes someone to get enraged does not mean that is the reason it was posted.

Intent matters.

Just because a negative post causes someone to get enraged does not mean that is the reason it was posted.

Intent matters.

It should be noted there is a difference, however slight, between "flaming" and "trolling".

If you make a post, and someone calls you an idiot its flaming if they -actually- believe you're an idiot for what you said. Its trolling if they just think its funny to piss you off by calling you an idiot.

Hello all,

We are going to go ahead and close this thread. We ask that threads on the forums are centered around discussion of Star Wars™: The Old Republic™. As this thread is discussing what is and isn't a troll and is not related to The Old Republic, we will go ahead and close this as off topic.

Thank you.