Companion Distance

Propter

I've just started SWTOR after having it since release, and I am getting really put off by the fact that my companion follows so close to me.

Too many times have I accidentally clicked on my companion instead of the enemy I am trying to attack.

Or if I want to pick up some loot, etc...

I was just wondering if there was a way to create more distance between me and my companion follower or even pull the camera back even further.

Thanks.

There is an option in preferences to pull the camera back more. This helps a lot. There is no option that dictates your companion's distance. You manage it by controlling your camera angle. If he's in you way, rotate the view with the mouse.

BTW You might want to consider trageting with the tab key or set up key mappings for all the other targeting options. There is a whole page of targeting keybind options. Lots of people prefer targeting with the keyboard as opposed to the mouse.

I've just started SWTOR after having it since release, and I am getting really put off by the fact that my companion follows so close to me.

Too many times have I accidentally clicked on my companion instead of the enemy I am trying to attack.

Or if I want to pick up some loot, etc...

I was just wondering if there was a way to create more distance between me and my companion follower or even pull the camera back even further.

Thanks.

It sounds, to me, like you are talking about Khem Val. He follows closest out of about all the companions I've come across. And yes, it's a matter of turning your camera angle - sometimes you have to just to get to a dead body because Khem is standing on top of you.

It sounds, to me, like you are talking about Khem Val. He follows closest out of about all the companions I've come across. And yes, it's a matter of turning your camera angle - sometimes you have to just to get to a dead body because Khem is standing on top of you.

I don't think he stands any closer to you than any other companion, he's just bigger, so he looms.

What you can do is set a key in key binds to toggle nearest enemy (I usually use tab for this) and you can spam pushing that until it targets the right one and sort of position yourself closer so that it is picking up the "closest" enemy to you. You can also minimize the UI interface so theres more room for you to click. Typically I avoid clicking and use that keybind method since clicking is slower and requires more effort. I mostly use this for my healing characters but you can use it to a lesser extent on other character classes.

Khem is not nearly as bad as M1-4X, an over sized battle droid on steroids (trooper). Unless I adjust the camera angle so that I am almost looking down on my head, I am looking right up his exhaust port.

In the beta my companion would run right in front of the remains of dead enemies right after every fight. Probably clicked the companion 50% of the time, lol. I think they have really improved the companion paths since then. It still happens to me every once in a blue moon.

Oh, and try targeting with the keyboard! It really is helpful. I use TAB to cycle through my enemies.

Click-targeting becomes impossible in PvP, with everyone hopping around in circles. :)

What you can do is set a key in key binds to toggle nearest enemy (I usually use tab for this) and you can spam pushing that until it targets the right one and sort of position yourself closer so that it is picking up the "closest" enemy to you.

Oh, and try targeting with the keyboard! It really is helpful. I use TAB to cycle through my enemies.

Click-targeting becomes impossible in PvP, with everyone hopping around in circles. :)

As others have said, using a click to target the enemy isn't usually the best way and there are key presses you can use instead.

By default, TAB will target a random enemy and you can keep pressing it to cycle through all enemies. Under your keybinds, in preferences, you'll find an option for 'target closest enemy' which should be fairly self explanatory. Some people bind this to TAB and so just ignore the cycle-target, but another way is to bind it to Q (or any other key of your choice).

There's also a 'target closest ally' which can be useful for healers, and I have mine bound to E.

As others have said, using a click to target the enemy isn't usually the best way and there are key presses you can use instead.

By default, TAB will target a random enemy and you can keep pressing it to cycle through all enemies. Under your keybinds, in preferences, you'll find an option for 'target closest enemy' which should be fairly self explanatory. Some people bind this to TAB and so just ignore the cycle-target, but another way is to bind it to Q (or any other key of your choice).

There's also a 'target closest ally' which can be useful for healers, and I have mine bound to E.

While the above is accurate, it's worth noting that TAB-targetting is particularly prone to picking rubbish targets and you'll be hitting it more than once more often than you might hope.

While the above is accurate, it's worth noting that TAB-targetting is particularly prone to picking rubbish targets and you'll be hitting it more than once more often than you might hope.

Yep - which is why I tend to use my Q key bound to "target closest enemy" more than any other method. Tab isn't great but I still use it .

If I really don't care which target then I'll tab. At the start of a fight I'll click, and in the middle of a fight I'll Q.