Combat Medic: PVE Group Utility

Murphs

I have spent the first days since launch playing a bit of each Republic side class to get a feel for which best suits me. I quickly learned that they all do. I like all of them.

So, picking an initial class to level with has come down to which healer brings the most utility to a group in PVE. I see Sages everywhere so I am hoping to find enough in the Combat Medic to feel satisfied in choosing to play one.

Do CM have any comparable abilities that bring the utility of the stuns and other CCs that the Sage brings to the group?

Thank you

From my understanding and what little experience I have leveling a CM to 23, in long fights your ammo will go low and hammer shot will be relied on a lot plus the reload skill. Still heals fairly decent I just think that sages and scoundrels are a little more efficient in healing but nothing should be taken away from CM.

With a level 25+ spec and a bit of understanding regarding the mechanics, combat medics can heal all day long and still perma-stun elites until the group has finished sweeping up the lesser targets. That's not even counting the ability of a hybrid build to heal the tank back up from 5% in a handful of seconds, add some serious mitigation, then swap over to a DPS cell and strip 20% off of the target's armor.

From what I've experienced through the mid-30's it's got all the tools you could want for a multi-task support.

Combat Medic has access to the following CC (names may not be 100% accurate):

1. Concussion Round - 60-second duration "sap" effect (60 second cooldown), usable in combat, works on any type of mob, breaks on damage

2. Cryo Grenade - Freezes target mob for 4 seconds, does not break on damage

3. Concussion Charge - AoE knockback around you

You also have some softer CC options (basically your damaging abilities that cause panic/knockdown) that only work on weak/standard enemies, such as Mortar Strike, Plasma Grenade, Sticky Grenade, etc.

Mortar volley + sticky grenade on the melee grunts will erase regular enemies before they even get started. All you really need to worry about are strongs and up.

Just make sure your group knows to coordinate who is getting stunned as concussion round is fragile, unlike cryo grenade that you spend the first few planets learning to use.