Am I doing something wrong (Leveling Bodyguard)?

ProjectCatalyst

As I just finished up Act 1 (level 32), I've begun to notice that soloing has started to become very difficult.

For example, Gold star mobs (elite, I think?) usually require me to pop energy shield, vent heat, and a medipac to beat on a 1v1 (unless I get lucky with crits). Sometimes if I get 2 silver (strong?) mobs, it can go poorly like that if I fubar up the CC.

In particular, the elite usually ends up with me desperately trying to keep myself (barely) alive for the last like ~30-40% of the mob's health while my companion dps's it down. If the mob can heal, it's even worse.

At first I though it was just par for the course, but after talking to my friend I'm not sure. Am I doing something wrong, is this just a problem with merc leveling, a problem of leveling as a healer, or something else?

What you can do is dip into Arsenal a bit. Muzzle fluting (6 points to reach total) will reduce your powershot by 9, and a popped SCG will reduce it by 16. 10 seconds of no-cost Powershots at your disposal. It'll give you some killing power, but delay your main spec. That's okay, however, as every skill you take helps you heal for more and do more damage.

It can make things easier when you're not just relying on your companions to kill things. I leveled from 35 to 50 with bodyguard spec and ended up getting fluting towards the end. I found it to be a really nice addition.