The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Will this play swtor on a 4k tv without issues? or can someone find me the cheapest computer or laptop that will work fine? Thanks!!!!!

Bacir

No. Simply put. No need to sugar coat it. It wont even run it at 2k.

The Radeon RX Vega 8 is only about as good as an old Nvidia GTX 1050. It will run the game with most settings on good (NOT ULTRA) and VSync off, performing about 70-80 FPS on avarage on a 21" screen. 

The CPU it self has good speeds, and if you lock one (or 2) of the cores on those 4.3 GHz, it is fine.

BUT, you will need a dedicated GPU.

As for recommendations, a budget is needed, because for 4k gaming, your $400 cant even buy you the needed GPU.... 

And you seem to lack understanding of what 4k really is, and the horsepower that it requires, as a "cheap" 4k GPU runs in at over $500 (where I live, cant say for you). 

Edit:

Amazon.de : Nvidia RTX 4060 

Ok, I mangaged to find some cheap 4k gaming cards, the NVidia RTC 4060, for $300. But it only has 8GB of ram, meaning you will not be able to play with settings higer than medium. The 16GB Ti edition to $440 (and up) is a far better choice.

Edited by MortenJessen
Added link and comments

1 hour ago, MortenJessen said:

Ok, I mangaged to find some cheap 4k gaming cards, the NVidia RTC 4060, for $300. But it only has 8GB of ram, meaning you will not be able to play with settings higer than medium. The 16GB Ti edition to $440 (and up) is a far better choice

I play 4K in Ultra on an RTX 2080TI (11GB RAM, but significantly slower than even a 4060).  It doesn't like Ruhnuk (variable around 50FPS), and it's not hugely fond of new Hutta, but it runs much higher than medium.  On a 4K/144Hz screen, with a 4K/60Hz screen to one side.

11 hours ago, MortenJessen said:

No. Simply put. No need to sugar coat it. It wont even run it at 2k.

The Radeon RX Vega 8 is only about as good as an old Nvidia GTX 1050. It will run the game with most settings on good (NOT ULTRA) and VSync off, performing about 70-80 FPS on avarage on a 21" screen. 

The CPU it self has good speeds, and if you lock one (or 2) of the cores on those 4.3 GHz, it is fine.

BUT, you will need a dedicated GPU.

As for recommendations, a budget is needed, because for 4k gaming, your $400 cant even buy you the needed GPU.... 

And you seem to lack understanding of what 4k really is, and the horsepower that it requires, as a "cheap" 4k GPU runs in at over $500 (where I live, cant say for you). 

Edit:

Amazon.de : Nvidia RTX 4060 

Ok, I mangaged to find some cheap 4k gaming cards, the NVidia RTC 4060, for $300. But it only has 8GB of ram, meaning you will not be able to play with settings higer than medium. The 16GB Ti edition to $440 (and up) is a far better choice.

I definitely don’t understand computers and appreciate the help. What about this laptop? Looking to buy something straight out of the box that will work. Open to suggestions. Here’s a laptop on Amazon I’m looking at. Specs listed here. 

Product information

Summary

Standing screen display size  ‎15.6 Inches 
Screen Resolution  ‎1920 x 1080 pixels 
Max Screen Resolution  ‎1920x1080 
Processor  ‎2.1 GHz apple_ci5 
RAM  ‎8 DDR5 
Hard Drive  ‎512 GB SSD 
Graphics Coprocessor  ‎NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4050 
Chipset Brand  ‎NVIDIA 
Card Description  ‎Dedicated 
Graphics Card Ram Size  ‎6 GB 
Wireless Type  ‎Bluetooth, 802.11ax 
Number of USB 3.0 Ports  

https://a.co/d/hxdugpm

10 hours ago, SteveTheCynic said:

I play 4K in Ultra on an RTX 2080TI (11GB RAM, but significantly slower than even a 4060).  It doesn't like Ruhnuk (variable around 50FPS), and it's not hugely fond of new Hutta, but it runs much higher than medium.  On a 4K/144Hz screen, with a 4K/60Hz screen to one side.

Can you link a laptop that would work for me playing? Amazon has some on sale today

Hi there mate.

Now I am confused. Do you "just" want to play the game, or do you really "want" 4k?? Because those are 2 really, really  different ball games....

But to answer your question about that laptop there: It will play the game just beautifully at all Ultra settings. But still with VSync turned off.

As long as you dont thermal trottle it, and the other "don'ts" with laptops and gaming.

But it still wont be 4k gaming...

Edited by MortenJessen

28 minutes ago, MortenJessen said:

Hi there mate.

Now I am confused. Do you "just" want to play the game, or do you really "want" 4k?? Because those are 2 really, really  different ball games....

But to answer your question about that laptop there: It will play the game just beautifully at all Ultra settings. But still with VSync turned off.

As long as you dont thermal trottle it, and the other "don'ts" with laptops and gaming.

But it still wont be 4k gaming...

I’d rather spend $400-$500 because it’s probably the only game I’ll play. I honestly just don’t know what to get

Going from 1080 to 4k res is a big jump on GPUs. Just because you have 4k TV does not mean you have to run the game at that resolution through it.

Though with large tv unless you are running its native res it wont look all that great. Technically you could always run it in 1080 or something close on the 4k TV and even make you own (Nvidia, not sure about AMD)

I have a 1660ti, play on 2k maxed out with movies on another TV.

I would avoid apple for gaming, and anything with no dedicated GPU(im not to sure about those minis). AMD I do not know, but anything like 1080ti or 20xx or 40xx would work but i would avoid playing in 4k unless you have the higher ends. Any laptop usually comes with a 1080 screen so you can skip the whole 4k part if you plan on doing that.

There are quite a few cheep desktops with rtx 580s

Amazon.com: Under $500 - Graphics Processor: 3 Selected / PCI Express / 6 To 7 GB Or 8 GB & ...: Electronics

This will do

One more

This is to give you a general, and more realistic, idea about what kind of machine, and price area, you need to operate with (in) to play SWTOR. Your budget is a little too low to make the cut.

The Processor needs speeds over 4.0GHz, with like 4.2-4.3 being good. The GPU needs at least 4 GB of ram. Just forget integrated units.

Help for those who wants to buy/use laptops to play SWTOR - New Player Help - SWTOR | Forums

Edited by MortenJessen

On 7/18/2024 at 4:39 AM, LordBtown said:

1080ti or 20xx or 40xx would work but i would avoid playing in 4k unless you have the higher ends

2080Ti plays 4K/144Hz just fine.

On Ultra.

With a second (4K/60) screen bothering it.

On 7/17/2024 at 1:45 PM, MortenJessen said:

What did that cost you?

Enough.  (Translation: none of your business.  I'm well-enough paid to be able to buy it.  That's all you need to know.)

Because new price was $999. And even today it costs significantly more than $300: Amazon.com : GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

When did you buy it?

Not long after it came out, when it was the bees' knees, and most significantly, before the 30XXes came out.  By all the Gods, it made CP2077 look *gorgeous*.

Oh, and is has 11Gb of ram. That matters....

Yes, but do you know *why* it matters?  (Hint: it *isn't* the absolute amount that matters.)