Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Chat-bubbles please!

Dareel

Chat-bubbles, with options to show for players, only party, NPCs - so players could select what they like (or turn them off).

This would be one of the best social updates for the game. Right now, when you want to talk to players you randomly meet in the world, you need to hope they are looking at chat window and it's not closed - this is bad, simply because all these simple social interaction are not happening in the same part of the screen as the rest of the game. They are very disconnected and not convenient.

But there has to be turn on/off switch, so players who want to be left completely alone had an option to do it. While others can chat and see the game/characters at the same time.

It may be a small thing, but for better social interactions - it is HUGE!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, tsteenburg said:

Most people would have it off. People who want to chat directly with someone already do.  They pay attention to the chat window. If they aren't paying attention to the window , they don't want to chat. 

Ok. That's why I said about an option on/off from the start. Yes, chat is visible in a separate window from an area where much bigger part of the game happens. That is an inconvenience that chat-bubbles fix. So players who want to chat can see it in the same area of the screen where characters/emotes/action happens.

13 minutes ago, felleto said:

They can't do chat bubbles. Last time they tried it made the client so laggy they had to revert back. I don't ever see this happening. 

If I remember correctly it was during 32bit client era. Hopefully 64bit and other improvements over the years changed things enough.

3 hours ago, Dareel said:

If I remember correctly it was during 32bit client era. Hopefully 64bit and other improvements over the years changed things enough.

More to the point, it was in the era when GPUs didn't have all that much memory, when 1GB on your GPU was a *lot* rather than pathetically small.  (It was, they say, because of heavy GPU memory use, something like 400MB just to handle chat bubbles being on.)

• Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.