Cannot Initialize Player Client

DarkAislynn

Hi all, I am trying to figure out what to do, as I had crashed earlier this morning while playing (had no issues up until then) but now, every time I try to launch the game, I hit play and I just get a black screen for 5-10 minutes before it closes and a notification comes up saying that my client cannot be initialized.

I have confirmed my drivers are up to date, verified my files on Steam, deleted client settings in my appdata folder for SWTOR...what else can I do? I can't get in game to ask for support through there. And so I am just trying to figure out what suddenly caused my problems.

14 hours ago, DarkAislynn said:

I have confirmed my drivers are up to date, verified my files on Steam, deleted client settings in my appdata folder for SWTOR...what else can I do? I can't get in game to ask for support through there. And so I am just trying to figure out what suddenly caused my problems.

Do you have the SWTOR "Repair" Option available to try?  That usually is available when the game detects problems:

Star Wars: The Old Republic - SW:TOR launcher troubleshooting guide (ea.com)

Note: It has instructions for both SWTOR (repair option) as well as Steam Repair option, as it sounds like your using Steam...

#1 is for Direct Game Install via https://www.swtor.com website, and not via Steam as that is shown immediately below!

image.thumb.png.08131689f83bcbf0cf1a0d23d7df268b.png

#2 Is for Steam Launcher, so follow these steps!

image.png.0f697bdea296d38250743300151b368a.png

#3 Applies to both for next steps to try!

image.png.e789ffe4d1af75cd74c89807035a2e91.png

Edited by Strathkin

@DarkAislynn

• Try to right-click on your Drive, then click on Properties, then select Tools -- then click on Check Disk.

image.png.ef11a86ed88bef8affcbd5fed7a95810.png

If it finds drive errors you may have to consult MS Windows Support, which they provide Free via Chat at least for currently supported Operating Systems for help.  Sometimes chkdsk or a variant for NTFS partitions they can help you delay by fixing disk errors, at least temporarily, to get a few more months out of the disk.

How to Use CHKDSK to Fix Hard Drive Problems on Windows 10 or Windows 11 (howtogeek.com) 

-- don't consult link (above) unless it find drive errors, yet far beter to ask MS Support chat direct, so your not doing the wrong thing by accident...

If no drive errors, then I'd perhaps try a uninstall & reinstall; yet before you do that I'd always backup your saved game data.

Note: C:\Users\{Windows Profile Name}\AppData however is a hidden folder; So allow them to be viewed in Windows Properties of your profile folder... 

%localappdata%\swtor\swtor\settings

-- this is also referenced in the EA Link provided above by @OwenBrooks above.

• Find the SWTOR settings (files & subdirectory) in %localappdata%\swtor\swtor\settings on the computer and backup to USB Drive; or go directly to...
  • It's typically found in the C:\Users\{Windows Profile Name}\AppData\Local\SWTOR\swtor\
  • Copy that folder & all subfolders to USB Backup Drive, then after you reinstall you can copy it back to the same place.
  • Then all your game profiles, UI, etc... should be saved, at least that's what I've done in the past.
  • Sometimes it's however caused by old Video Drivers, or can be fixed by downloading new ones too; yet I often don't update unless I run into problems, and I always have a backup driver cause I download them all to a folder, to revert back if needed as well. 

Hope something there (above) helps...  :( 

Edited by Strathkin