OS re-image: SWtOR launcher login failure

blktiger

I recently re-imaged my OS, it was from a .mrimg file I created in 2019. No changes in hardware. My WoW game plays fine. My SWtOR game however can't get past login. I get a brief blip of the blue swirly working indicator and then nothing. I use BlueStacks SWTOR SK app for my security key, I have for quite a while.

VC_redist.x64: reinstalled, just in case

directx_Jun2010_redist: reinstalled, just in case

I deleted all the game files in my game folder ( E:\Star Wars - The Old Republic ) - looking at 234MB, 76 files in there now. Again, no hardware changes at all just an OS re-image. on my system drive ( C:\ ). D:\ and E:\ are data drives.

Any help? I'm a founder. I still like to play. My sub time is currently ticking away, . . .

Pretty sure, ya.

But just in case I used the link you posted. I downloaded that file, uninstalled thru "programs and features" and rebooted. Same deal. A brief blue swirly working indication and then nothing. 

Looks like the unistall missed some registry entrees or got stuck with an outdated cheat checker ('pretty good anti-cheat'?)

What I would try is reinstalling the game, and then downloading and installing ReVo Uninstaller.

Let that one uninstall SWTOR, and during the final step 'scan->medium scan', and chose (opt) everything it finds. Then erase all it finds. Now every trace should be gone. Then reinstall game.

*Do not forget to save your game profiles first. Your quickbind etc.

Not sure if they are in appdata or something. You may have to set invisible files to visible. Also a trick to not forget to reset invisible files back to invisible is by making a folder on your desktop, name that one :'Shoot 83 Unscrootanizable', and make that one.... invisible 😂

Edited by Capt_Solbeamer

Update: called EA a second time. They requested files to analyze. In the meantime, the Steam launcher works. You’ll have to approve the EULA every time you log in, but at least you’ll be playing. 

• Like 1

On 4/20/2024 at 2:55 PM, Lixunan said:

Same thing happened to me. Tried all steps EA suggested. Tried the ReVo uninstall. Launcher still does nothing. 

Maybe SWTOR got an uninstall tool, like they got this funky repair tool on ea. Have you tried running their repair tool?

*[Repair utility has been temporarily removed due to the release of the new launcher]

https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion-Technical/GUIDE-Launcher-Troubleshooting/td-p/4805820

Looks like 'repair' is now part of the launcher.

No idea if they got an uninstaller.

Posted (edited)

So, after having done nothing after what I did initially the launcher miraculously now works and is now downloading everything I deleted. I should have just waited and left my original files.

Edited by blktiger

17 hours ago, Capt_Solbeamer said:

Looks like 'repair' is now part of the launcher

It was always(1) part of the launcher, but only if you don't use Bitraider (the "streaming" downloader).  It was a while back, 2018 or 2019 most likely, but definitely before a certain bat virus turned our world upside-down, when they updated the installer on the website to set up "SSN"(2) by default instead of Bitraider.

(1) Well, perhaps not always, but for as long as I've been playing.  Er.  I started in March 2013...

(2) Not a nuclear-powered attack submarine, but rather the "Solid State Networks" downloader, the one that isn't Bitraider.

Posted (edited)
On 4/21/2024 at 7:28 PM, blktiger said:

So, after having done nothing after what I did initially the launcher miraculously now works and is now downloading everything I deleted. I should have just waited and left my original files.

Well that was disappointing.

After letting the download and install do it's thing (I didn't watch it, I wasn't at the house) I tried logging in. I was able to login and get to the server choice screen. The problem then became no servers listed - great. So I exited the game and relaunched. No Bueno. I'm back to the brief login swirly and then nothing.

You guys need to look at your server authentication code. All this client stuff isn't the issue.

Edited by blktiger
FYI tidbits from many moons ago: During Blizzards crazy WoW first few months there were tons of aunthentication issuses not to mention a bunch of in game bugs. We all got a bunch of time added to our subscribed accounts.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

So it's tomorrow, 4 of the may, . .

still can't login to my account.

And now I have no subbed, got screwed out of people - and I won't be doing that till I do.

Account Creation Date 2009-04-28
Edited by blktiger

i would check your antivirus and firewall firstup , it could explain the launcher issues and the no server list 

no server list can also occur if a compatibility mismatch exists between launcher.exe and swtor.exe 

have you tried installing the steam version to see if the same thing occurs ?

• 1 month later...

Did you try the steam version like some people suggested? I could troubleshoot it, but I'd need to connect to you and pull logs and a bunch of stuff and yeah, i'm not doing that lol (At least not for free)

But if the steam version works and the normal does not then that may shed some light on what's happening.

If not, I still suggest trying it. It may help.

If not, I think it's a connection issue on your end of some kind. I'd bet your router could be doing something funky with the traffic (reboot that if somehow you haven't had to reboot your router in all this time) or possibly a firewall or other security related issue. Check your config on windows and your router. Make sure you have exceptions set for the game exe as well as the launcher set for both up and downstream.

Although it could be registry corruption from a bad image. Or, have you checked all of your drivers and bios for updates? It could be a network driver or some other issue like that. Please make sure all relevant drivers and firmware are updated and try again.

If that doesn't help, I hate to say but it was probably the image and corruption in windows. You can try running an sfc and maybe DISM /restorehealth (google for more info) but if it's not Windows corruption and instead SWTOR corruption then yeah. But seeing you imaged it, I'm gonna probably say don't reimage like that in the future because something obviously went wrong along the way.

Edited by Rohndogg
extra suggestion