The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Vanguard Assault Build - Need suggestions

plainoldavid

I am currently a lvl 31 straight shield spec'd Vanguard thinking about changing to a pure Assault build. By switching from Ion Cell to Plasma Cell, will I notice a huge increase in the amount of damage I suffer or am I giving double armor rating for ion cell too much credit? As a shield spec, I use Elara only for the heals. Would she still be the best choice for a DPS Vanguard or would MI4X probably work better to take the threat? Final question, should I give up the shield generator and go with a straight generator for extra bonuses to aim or is a shield generator critical to my survivability. Thanks for your time and constructive criticism.

I've got a level 42 Vanguard and I went tactics tree, from what I've read, if a Vanguard isn't SS spec'ed it can have a difficult time with survivability. I've noticed that with my spec this simply isn't true. As a DPS I also wanted survivability so I put 7 points on my SS tree to start then went to tactics. Because i put two points in the armor increase in SS specc I recieve +16% armor and I keep Ion cell active still-> I don't see how +60% armor and +5% damage mitigation is outweighed by +5% damage, the longer I survive the more damage I can do. Also.. I always use Jorgan, his damage output and high endurance allow him to tank heavy mobs while I destroy lower mobs then take aggro from him. I can also take on elites this way-> order Jorgan to attack and only use your rapid fire ability and default blaster rounds to keep aggro on Jorgan... When Jorgan is almost dead pop reactive shield and take aggro... When reactive shield is down use crypgrenade...

I am currently a lvl 31 straight shield spec'd Vanguard thinking about changing to a pure Assault build. By switching from Ion Cell to Plasma Cell, will I notice a huge increase in the amount of damage I suffer or am I giving double armor rating for ion cell too much credit? As a shield spec, I use Elara only for the heals. Would she still be the best choice for a DPS Vanguard or would MI4X probably work better to take the threat? Final question, should I give up the shield generator and go with a straight generator for extra bonuses to aim or is a shield generator critical to my survivability. Thanks for your time and constructive criticism.

Yes, you'll notice a big survivability difference, but also a big dps difference. Try both M14X and Elara and see which one works better for you.

You'll want a power generator if using plasma cell, a shield won't do much of anything for you if you're not in ion.

Respecs are free once a week so if you don't like the dps playstyle it's easy enoug to switch back.