Vertically smooshed characters

cannibithobbal

Starting today with NO changes to my game settings, PC, or monitor, the visuals in the game are now vertically smooshed (or, horizontally stretched?).  The characters are the most noticeable, but I literally got a tape measure out and checked the measurements on square icons and they were not perfectly square like they should be.

I have had this issue in the past due to my monitor having a bigger possible ratio than 2160x3840 (which is what I run it at, and run the game at), but the solution I used to fix that (editing the client_settings file to reflect 2160x3840 then making that file read only) is still in place.  I even tried making that file not read only, loading and closing the game, restarting computer, and then going back into the file and it still showed the correct aspect ratios, I re-saved the file and made it read only again, still the same issue after many game and PC restarts.  I double-checked in game graphics settings as well and all were normal, checked my monitor settings, everything is normal (and everything outside the game looks fine anyway).

Does anyone know another cause/solution for vertical smooshing?  Everything I've found online is for that same issue I had previously (sometimes with slightly different fixes).  Any help at all would be greatly appreciated, this is incredibly frustrating. 😣

Here is a side by side of the issue.  On the left, today.  On the right, a screenshot from last thursday which looks normal. 

image.thumb.png.700d3c8c5819e80b5d45c55f4144f07c.png

you are best if possible to create a resolution as the highest resolution with the correct aspect ratio in the video card software for example AMD is Virtual Super Resolution as discussed in https://www.reddit.com/r/swtor/comments/e2k9cc/possible_fix_for_aspect_ratio_bugs_219_169_1610/

Changing video driver version can trigger this too

Edited by OwenBrooks

10 minutes ago, OwenBrooks said:

you are best if possible to create a resolution as the highest resolution with the correct aspect ratio in the video card software for example AMD is Virtual Super Resolution as discussed in https://www.reddit.com/r/swtor/comments/e2k9cc/possible_fix_for_aspect_ratio_bugs_219_169_1610/

Changing video driver version can trigger this too

I have nvidia and I have gone into nvidia control panel and double checked that it is set to 3840x2160, and it is. (that is the max it can go, there are no higher resolutions or larger sizes available, only my monitor technically has a larger possible ratio, which was the problem I had previously and fixed).

So, I'm an idiot, and I fixed it.  I was gonna delete this but I'm gonna leave this post open in case anyone else has this issue in future and this ends up being their solution. 😅

I unplugged and re-plugged the HDMI cable into the monitor, and suddenly it worked. 

I couldn't begin to guess why this fixed it (since the aspect ratio for everything else on my PC had been fine?), but it did.  😅   I tried turning everything off and back on, but in my frustration I forgot to try the second rule of IT: have you tried unplugging it and plugging it back in?

Let this be a lesson: try the simple hardware solution, folks.  Be smarter than me 😂