Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Question for the Devs and Server Managers

orig_mrrabbit

It is pretty clear that Satele Shan and Star Forge are virtual servers residing on a single machine.

Question:  Is a separate hardware network interface provisioned for each server OR are they sharing the same hardware network interface and time sharing it at 50% each under load?

=8-)

1 hour ago, orig_mrrabbit said:

It is pretty clear that Satele Shan and Star Forge are virtual servers residing on a single machine.

And through what clairvoyance do you come to this conclusion....

Edited by denavin
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, denavin said:

And through what clairvoyance do you come to this conclusion....

56 minutes ago, SteveTheCynic said:

Well duh, my eyes don't focus that close up.

Why do you say that two servers that are in the same datacentre (since November 2017) must automatically be in the same machine?

If you folks paid attention to last week Star Forge reboot, you'd realize that they literally gave away the fact that Star Forge AND Satele Shan are virtual servers running on the same machine.  Plus it help that my background is Data Center Administrator.  =8-)

Edited by orig_mrrabbit

5 minutes ago, orig_mrrabbit said:

If you folks paid attention to last week Star Forge reboot, you'd realize that they literally gave away the fact that Star Forge AND Satele Shan are virtual servers running on the same machine.  Plus it help that my background is Data Center Administrator.  =8-)

So your saying that if they reboot the Data Center that both servers access, that would have no effect on the servers unless they were both running on the same machine?
And of course they would never reboot the Data Center while rebooting the server.... Would they

Did it get this convoluted reasoning correct?

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, orig_mrrabbit said:

What do you mean by 'single machine'? You know SWTOR doesn't run on a single computer stuck on a bench in some dev's basement. It runs on a 'server farm' consisting of many separate units running many, many CPU cores. 🤔

Edited by JediQuaker

16 hours ago, orig_mrrabbit said:

Question:  Is a separate hardware network interface provisioned for each server OR are they sharing the same hardware network interface and time sharing it at 50% each under load?

=8-)

Question:  Why do you think BioWare would answer a question about how their current server hardware is configured?   

Do you think Jackie Ko will go to their server peeps and ask for this info?

As a data center administrator do you get requests from clients asking you to provide detailed hardware configurations that the client can in turn provide to the client's customers?  I can see the data center client wanting this level of detail for their own internal use, not for their customers' reference.  I'm guessing most data center clients aren't keen on revealing this level of detail to their general customer base.

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.