The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Change It so that dye packs cannot be used directly on an armor slot within the character outfitter.

I had no idea that this could even be done until it happened by accident.  

I used a Black&Black dye pack on an armor piece only to find out that it was installed onto the intangible armor inside the outfitter, not the actual piece sitting in my inventory.  Why would this even be a thing that can be done?  At the least, why not prompt a warning for this action? Customer service, who replied in the average time of 2 days,  told me, "Tough luck, pal. Wish we could do something for you". I'm paraphrasing there, but they did nothing to compensate me.   So at the end of it, my dye pack does not exist in any armor piece within my inventory.  It is only a figment inside of a stamp within the character outfitter.   Can't unequip the armor from there or it's lost forever, and can't equip it to a companion since it isn't "real".  I am puzzled by this choice of mechanics.  Not thrilled about it.  Let this be a cautionary tale.

Edited by RaulTheConquerer

The Outfitter has always worked that way, even when it was called Outfit Designer, and the standard advice floating on the forums has been to never do what you did, for precisely the reason you found.  And regarding this bit:

4 hours ago, RaulTheConquerer said:

not the actual piece sitting in my inventory

Well, of course not.  The piece might not be *in* your inventory, for various reasons:

• Your companion is wearing it.
  • Your other companion who isn't with you is wearing it.
  • You stashed it in your character's cargo hold.
  • It's legacy-bound, and you stashed it in your legacy storage.
  • It's legacy-bound, and you transferred it to a different character.
  • You sold it to a vendor.
  • You deconstructed it.
  • You destroyed it.

But overall, yes, some sort of warning would be a good idea.  (It's too late to remove the mechanic completely, since there are probably lots of outfits out there with dyes stamped directly onto the outfit slot, but they could discourage/prevent the creation of new outfits like that.)

• Like 1