Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Cloud hosted servers; Possible Vanilla Server?

GeneralGyro

I miss the original game. A lot of the time I ask in chat who misses the game before KOTFE level sync, when the worlds felt threatening, the game felt harder and you could min-max companion stats and many respond with "I do." Some say "I don't." but I think a throwback vanilla server wouldn't hurt. I am one of the "bring back the original ravage animation" proponents. As there is cloud server hosting being tested could this pave the way for a server like this? 

As far as I know, 'cloud server' in this case refers to idea that the game runs on a 'client' in 'the cloud' that takes the processing load off your local computer. The 'cloud' client just 'streams' the 'standard' game from the normal game servers. That is, there's no separate 'cloud server'.

Also keep in mind that the SWTOR server(s) is not just one computer that anyone can run in their basement. It's a whole 'farm'. 🙂

Edited by JediQuaker

7 minutes ago, JediQuaker said:

As far as I know, 'cloud server' in this case refers to idea that the game runs on a 'client' in 'the cloud' that takes the processing load off your local computer. The 'cloud' client just 'streams' the 'standard' game from the normal game servers. That is, there's no separate 'cloud server'.

Also keep in mind that the SWTOR server(s) is not just one computer that anyone can run in their basement. It's a whole 'farm'. 🙂

I believe OP refers to SWTOR PTS currently being run on Amazon Web Services cloud, not streaming the entire game from a server so a local client is no longer required.  Keith Kanneg informed the player base of this in a blog post last month.

With respect to the SWTOR server(s) are a "whole 'farm'" comment, that has always been the case.  OP just wants a server(s) added with a SWTOR version of the game as it existed at some point prior to KOTFE.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.