Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Is there any chance Devs will address Client/Server performance issues?

MaximusRex

This game has suffered from performance and client/server issues since launch, but the older the game gets and the more the devs push what should be interesting new mechanics in Flash Point and Ops content, the more frustrating the abysmal client and server performance issues become.

I should not have to remember to jump all the time to try and not have an effect I am not standing in not kill me.  Where I see mobs and team mates on my screen should match up to what my team mates see and what the server thinks is happening.  These desync issues aren't new, but they are getting worse, and fights like Watchdog really highlight how bad things can be. 

It is incredibly frustrating to work on learning the news fights that are largely about movement and not standing in things only to be blown up by things you were not standing in because the server didn't agree, or to blow up a team mate you didn't overlap because the server didn't agree.  To get one shot by a boss because the server didn't agree you were far enough away during the kite phase.

And the client also is failing at giving us the performance we should expect from our hardware.  My client pretty randomly switched between running around 30 FPS and 75 FPS for no apparent reason.  It should be able to easily run at max settings, but it doesn't.  I have been reducing and reducing my settings, but I am still not getting satisfactory frame rates.  I shouldn't have to turn my settings down to potato to attempt to get a decent framerate.

• Like 2

And the disconnections! 

OK, I went to my ISP and told them to stick their modem where the sun doesn't shine, they offered me a cable connection. Logged in on Darth Malgus, went to Rishi SH (again, mother beeping Rishi...) and got disconnected. Logged back in, went to Imperial Fleet, spent 3 minutes there, got disconnected again. 

So, I'm sorry, but the ISP is not the problem, and the computer was checked and re-checked at 3 different shops in town, they found no reason why only this game keeps getting disconnected. 

1 hour ago, bluehufsa said:

So, I'm sorry, but the ISP is not the problem, and the computer was checked and re-checked at 3 different shops in town, they found no reason why only this game keeps getting disconnected. 

So, your ISP gives you a 'cable' connection and suddenly they can't be the problem? The rest of their system must be perfect? I have a bridge I can sell you.

Why is it that I rarely get disconnected? (I think it's the quality of Canadian internet, but that's just teasing. 😉 )

Many of the OP's problems can be chalked up to lag - the difference between when things happen on the client or server, and when the results get processed. This is greatly affected by the length and quality of the path your signal takes to get to the server. This sort of problem can be especially annoying in FPS games where you swear you were behind a wall but you still got shot, etc.

Note: The quality and length of the signal path varies depending upon your location relative to the various servers, which is why some games and online services work smoother than others. So don't bother to respond with "but all my other games..."

The bottom line is that there are limitations to the old code that SWTOR is based upon, but there is more to it than just you and the servers.

Edited by JediQuaker
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, JediQuaker said:

So, your ISP gives you a 'cable' connection and suddenly they can't be the problem? The rest of their system must be perfect? I have a bridge I can sell you.

Why is it that I rarely get disconnected? (I think it's the quality of Canadian internet, but that's just teasing. 😉 )

Many of the OP's problems can be chalked up to lag - the difference between when things happen on the client or server, and when the results get processed. This is greatly affected by the length and quality of the path your signal takes to get to the server. This sort of problem can be especially annoying in FPS games where you swear you were behind a wall but you still got shot, etc.

Note: The quality and length of the signal path varies depending upon your location relative to the various servers, which is why some games and online services work smoother than others. So don't bother to respond with "but all my other games..."

The bottom line is that there are limitations to the old code that SWTOR is based upon, but there is more to it than just you and the servers.

Don't get me wrong, I don't trust a word my ISP employees tell me, they are full of bantha dung anyway even if they claim to be the biggest and best in Eastern Europe. 

Regarding the OP's problems, been there and done that, made a fool of myself dying in DF HM because I couldn't move and the exploding droid at Nefra was just near me (gee, that droid must really be overjoyed to see me, so he explodes of happiness).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.