The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

There needs to be an official species wishlist thread

There are tons of potential species that could be included in the game, and here's a list of them. Some can be added easily with no compromise to armor as they are already near human, others can be added with some compromises to armor since they have heads that don't really work with existing assets, such as the togruta. Here's the list, and lets rock and roll with this.

Without compromises

• Pantoran

• Weequay

• Nikto

• Bothan

• Devaronian

• Falleen

• Sarkhai

• Zeltron

• Kiffar

• Arkanian Offshoot

• Tholothian

• Cerean

• Vurk

• Gran

With compromises

• Kel Dor

• Kaleesh

• Duros

• Snivvian

• Sullustian

• Selkath

• Mon Calamari

• Chagrian

• Rodian

• Aqualish

• Trandoshan

• Palliduvan

• Pau'an

• Gungang

• Gand

• Voss

Species to add just for fun

• Jawa

• Ewok

• Wookiee

• Ortolan

• Gormack

• Ithorian

My personal favourites of the list are Falleen (give me my sexy lizard!), Zeltron (I mean, there's a prominent one in the story already!), Pantoran (Senator Chuchi, ayone?) and Voss (Yes, confusing in the story but really the game is a decade old. I think players are willing to give it a go, especially those who play to rp and the actual story is secondary to them.)

Thanks to u/Azza2404 on reddit for compiling this list.

I'll quote my own comment from that reddit post :

Iirc, Sarkai are fairly new to the Republic, quite unknown from the Empire and Nadia is the only known Force sensitive, so adding them as playable species wouldn't really work with the lore of the game.

Devaronian, if i'm not mistaken, the females look nothing like the males and don't leave their homeworld, so they seem quite unlikely as well.

Echani, Pantoran, Zeltron and Kiffar would be by far the easiest to add, as they're basically just humans with different colors or simply face tatoos.

Nikto, Weequay, Bothan, Falleen, Tholothian, Cerean and Chagrian could be added, they'd mostly require work to make their face, and would be unable to wear helmets. Considering how the Grand Inquisitor looks in Kenobi, Pau'an could work as well.

The rest seem pretty unlikely as they don't fit one or more requirements for a species to be playable in this game, but for these species, maybe they could add them as some kind of disguise from a terminal that could work in places like SHs, fleets and cantinas, just for people to have fun.

I'll just add that the problem for Voss, aside from the lore issue, is that they don't use the same BT1-4 as our PCs, they're proportionally taller and skinnier (being basically the height of BT3, with the weight of BT1-2), so either you'd have to play as a dwarfish Voss (and you'd have endless complaints that the Voss PCs don't look exactly like their NPC counterparts), or they'd have to rework how our PC work and rework every single piece of armor.

All that being said, i'd definitely like to see more species added to the game, but personally, i'd go for the easiest ones first, so the ones who are basically recolored humans (the likes of Echani or Zeltron), as they should be the ones requiring the least amount of work.

Then go for the less easy to add that still work with the limitations on playable species (the likes of Nikto or Weequay).

And keep the ones who would not work because they don't fit one or more of the reuirements for playable species as disguise (with a male and a female model) to have fun in some places such as SHs, cantinas, fleets or the Odessen base (the likes of Voss or Wookiees).

• 6 months later...

I still get surprised at how many people, after so many years that the game has been in operation, still don't know that Bioware has stated, in no uncertain terms, that any species that is incapable of speaking Basic, will never be available as a player species. This includes Wookie,  Trandoshan, Jawa, Ewok, and Ithorian. Possibly Gand as well?

The reason why is the voice acting. This cannot accommodate non-Basic speaking species. The entire game would have to be re-designed. 

I understand that even now, 11 years after the game launched, there are people just starting to play for the very first time ever, but I admit I am still surprised how many people don't know this restriction. If this is on me, then I will accept and concede that.

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, HollyUSEC said:

I still get surprised at how many people, after so many years that the game has been in operation, still don't know that Bioware has stated, in no uncertain terms, that any species that is incapable of speaking Basic, will never be available as a player species. This includes Wookie,  Trandoshan, Jawa, Ewok, and Ithorian. Possibly Gand as well?

The reason why is the voice acting. This cannot accommodate non-Basic speaking species. The entire game would have to be re-designed. 

I understand that even now, 11 years after the game launched, there are people just starting to play for the very first time ever, but I admit I am still surprised how many people don't know this restriction. If this is on me, then I will accept and concede that.

Actually, Trandoshan can speak Basic. They just choose not to sometimes. Like the Hutts.