The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Empty hand weapon

I play a sith sorcerer a great deal, but I almost never use my lightsaber, and it would be great if I could go full Palpatine and go without a lightsaber and just fry people with my lighting, it is possible, but only on lower level planets and never in heroics. I know it wouldn't really work in cutscenes, but it would be cool in combat.

• 2 weeks later...
I play a sith sorcerer a great deal, but I almost never use my lightsaber

I thought: "Interesting!" when I first clicked the thread but imediately remembered after your first sentence...what about the basic saber attack? Yeah it's rarely if ever used but it IS there and it WOULD look strange if no saber were there. In order for this "weapon" to work it would have to be combined with th animations and sound effects of one of the punching legacy abilities for empty handed combat. Plus what would be done with the animation/stance for the right hand? Both Sage and Sorc have perfect use/animation for the left but would the right just be a semi-closed fist? Not being a naysayer here (it's still a great concept) just pointing out that having this "item" available might be more problematic than first glance...

• 3 weeks later...

The other option would be a new weapon type that only Sage and Sorcerer have proficiencies for, and that has (as a consequence of being a new weapon type) its own animations(1):

• It's called "empty hand" or something like that.
  • It has no visible mesh (hint: offers very little scope for Cartel Market versions).
  • The animations would be broadly similar to the existing animations for the abilities that don't do anything special with the sabre.
  • The animations where the sabre is manipulated in some way (mostly Saber Strike and its high-level replacement) would have a new animation that does something "Forcey" rather than just a fist strike.

It's starting to look a bit elaborate for a *single* weapon, of course.

(1) This avoids the problems associated with a specific weapon of an existing type having a different animation set compared to all the others of the same type.

I do play sorcerers myself, and I like having my weapon.

If you are referencing palpatine, I will remind you of those scenes in Revenge of the Sith where he used his lightsaber when those pesky Jedi came to arrest him :D And used it quite well.:eek:

• 2 weeks later...
I would also just like to appear weaponless for RP purposes with some of my outfits sometimes without having to unequip my weapon. I mean, if my Commando wants to wear a dress to the Nightlife event it looks weird when she's toting this giant blaster cannon on her back... Obviously, I can unequip it, but it would be nice to have it as an appearance option.