The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

lvling as ST?

Nasurah

I've been leveling as Shieldtech since late 20s and it's really only started to seem slow in the 40s. If you're geared up and using all of your abilities, you should be ending fights at damn near full health and very little heat, which means you get to go on to the next pack of mobs while another spec would have to stand and heal.

It seems to me that Shieldtech is a bit more gear dependant than the DPS specs. The one thing I have found though is that once you get to level 30+ you really start to feel more like a tank. If you can keep our armor current to your elvel (with a few levels anyhow) and play smart you should be able to solo very effectivly.

I usually end fights with 90%+ health and very low heat (w/4 heat pips) so even though Shieldtechs may kill a bit slower than a DPS spec, you will have less downtime between fights which will even things out.

You are right, it was awesome in the 20s-30s, but it feels very slow now in the late 40s. However I was able to solo a boss with 130k hp with my own level (47). I was thinking to give Mako a rest, but Torian's equip is not up-to-date...

May be just a low level issue. It was slow for me in the beginning. At 13ish I switched to AP and it sped up a lot. Now at 43, I've gone back to ST and running with Gault. Much faster than AP was at 40-42. And the elite fights are ridiculously easy now as long as I'm hitting my interrupts.

I found shield spec more suitable for me, I respected from AP near 40 lvl and have no regret. Boss and gold elites figths in AP sometimes brings alot of frustration, in shield spec you can most of the time kill +1/+2 lv hard targets in slow but sure style even without using half of your OMG buttons and medipacs, but you have to dress Mako or Torian realy good for it, I found this companions most suitable for shieldtech lvling and questing. And of course shieldtech are more useful in flashpoints and heroics IMHO. What others waiting from powertech is good tanking, this is what we do realy nice, we have mobility, a lot of control and interrupt abilities, and we are tough, and even in tank tree we still have decent AOE damage. Edited by Urukkhan

• 2 weeks later...

I have been looking to respec to AP/Pyro as I keep thinking that my damage is slow as ST.

I'm level 35 at the minute and have just given up on the class quest line on Hoth to get Blizz.

Im 2 quests into it but cannot get past the level 40 strong s to push the quest line.

That's when i realized that i'm still only 35!!:eek: Ive worked out that with Mako out i can kill anything up to 4 levels higher than me including elites.

Things get a little more hairy if I have Torian out but stuff just dies quicker. Ive realized that in ST with Mako i can pretty much do anything within 4 levels of me:D

I do have to tell myself to go back to other planets to level though because I tend to focus on the class quests! Completely missed Quesh, where i'm off to tonight!!!

TL;DR Go ST its awesome!!!:)