The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Upgrading a weapon destroys the crystal

Screaming_Ziva

I can see this being a bit of a problem with some of the legacy bound crystals (or any crystal for that matter). If you go to the vendor and upgrade a weapon that has a crystal in it, there needs to be some kind of warning telling you that you will lose the crystal if you upgrade the weapon before removing it.

I only have two sets of the Black-Silver legacy crystals and I would be extremely upset if I lost one when upgrading a weapon.

These are all gone because the “upgrade” is actually an exchange. You’re turning in your gear/weapon item - along with multiple currencies in varying quantities - for a new, different, higher level piece. So, your originally equipped item is gone; you cannot even buy it back.

If you’re careful, you might be able to return the new item to the vendor during the refund timer and get back the original item. Careful though; right-clicking the new item in your inventory might equip it (immediately running out the refund timer without a warning) instead of returning it to the vendor.

Knowledge gained from painful experience. :-(