The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

"Stable" Weapon Tuning

arunav

I understand the "unstable" effect on many of your expensive CM lightsabers is popular and probably makes BW plenty of money.

However, plenty of folks don't like the way the blade on these lightsabers look, even if the hilts are designed really well and otherwise attractive. We don't get them for our accounts as a consequence. Many CM color crystals simply don't look as they otherwise would due to the unstable effect and are basically unusable on them.

Can a new tuning be introduced, a "Stable Weapon Tuning", to make the blade on these types of lightsabers look "normal", like regular lightsaber blades seen throughout the game in all its eras?

A great example is Tulak Hord's lightsaber. This is a CM hilt and looks fantastic, and it even has a great film-like sound (often hard to find on CM weapons). But only a limited number of color crystals look as good as they do on other "normal" lightsabers, due to the unstable effect on the blade.

Other examples might include the Unstable Peacemaker ones, Twisted Fang models, Malgus' Damaged Lightsaber, Redeemed Revan's lightsaber, Tau or Arn's lightsabers, etc.

Please consider making a "Stable Weapon Tuning" for the rest of your players that would use these weapons if not for the unstable effect on the blades.

Edited by arunav

What would it do on an already-stable lightsabre? What about on the back un-blade of a lightsabre pike? Or a gun?

Certainly good points.

There are blasters/rifles that have "cross guard" effects on them, in how they appear when fired. The tuning could potentially yield the appearance of the game's typical blaster bolt instead.

For "already stable" lightsabers, there are CM ones that have blades of varying widths. A potential stable tuning could perhaps default all lightsabers to the typical in-game blade, one seen from 1.x-6.x.

I agree a stable tuning could potentially be more difficult to make appealing for all weapons, and it would certainly break the mold of a flashy, noisy modification of sorts. We sometimes joke in our guild if your weapon isn't burning, about to explode, or in danger of electrocuting your character, BW doesn't think you've spent enough cartel coins on it yet.

Anyway, this is a suggestion forum! Perhaps the developers can think of a clever way to offer a stable tuning that does something else appealing when applied to a wide variety of weapon types generally. I simply know I've heard plenty of folks also say they like the hilts on all or some of the especially expensive CM lightsabers, but find the blade effects unappealing, enough so that they don't buy or use them.

Edited by arunav

Certainly good points.

There are blasters/rifles that have "cross guard" effects on them, in how they appear when fired. The tuning could potentially yield the appearance of the game's typical blaster bolt instead.

For "already stable" lightsabers, there are CM ones that have blades of varying widths. A potential stable tuning could perhaps default all lightsabers to the typical in-game blade, one seen from 1.x-6.x.

I agree a stable tuning could potentially be more difficult to make appealing for all weapons, and it would certainly break the mold of a flashy, noisy modification of sorts. We sometimes joke in our guild if your weapon isn't burning, about to explode, or in danger of electrocuting your character, BW doesn't think you've spent enough cartel coins on it yet.

Anyway, this is a suggestion forum! Perhaps the developers can think of a clever way to offer a stable tuning that does something else appealing when applied to a wide variety of weapon types generally. I simply know I've heard plenty of folks also say they like the hilts on all or some of the especially expensive CM lightsabers, but find the blade effects unappealing, enough so that they don't buy or use them.

Reasonable answer. I asked my question to see what you thought about the subject, and certainly not to put the idea down.

• 1 month later...
What would it do on an already-stable lightsabre? What about on the back un-blade of a lightsabre pike? Or a gun?

Another angle on your question:

There are currently tunings that primarily only function on certain weapon types.

Examples?

Laser Weapon Tuning. I don't think many folks are putting a laser sight on their sabers.

Strap Weapon Tuning. This is basically only for either a blaster rifle or a sniper rifle.

Dark and Light Side Weapon Tuning. I've never seen anyone with this on a weapon other than a single or double bladed saber. There are surely exceptions, but both of these look pretty silly on a blaster.

I don't have the full list of tunings in my head, but there might be more that don't really work well with all weapon types.

As such, I don't see a problem with adding a stable tuning item that will generally only be used on single and double-bladed lightsabers.

With all the variations on blade types that have been added into SWTOR via the CM, it's not unreasonable for players to want an item to change the appearance of a lightsaber blade back to its 1.x-6.x default.

Edited by arunav

OK, good points. I wonder, though, whether doing it as a tuning for the existing slot is the right way. This comment is inspired by the debates about Covert Energy helmets (CEH) versus a Hide Hoot toggle (HHT), which centre on:

* The CEH doesn't work in helmet-hiding cutscenes because hidden helmets don't hide hoods.

* The HHT allows me to use my choice of helmet under the now-hidden hood, or under my now-visible hood rather than having to have a bare head.

OK, the first isn't applicable to blade styles, but the second very much is. If the blade style tuning is, well, a tuning, it can't be combined with an *actual* tuning. If I like the effect of the Incinerator tuning, but only on a stable blade, I'm out of luck.

For that reason, I'd advocate adding a second slot for blade style in addition to the tuning slot. Possibly also (and for guns also) a "sound" modifier, which people have asked for off and on for ages. I'd go for that, given the number of assault cannons that sound like wet noodles.

Cool idea and discussion.

For that reason, I'd advocate adding a second slot for blade style in addition to the tuning slot. Possibly also (and for guns also) a "sound" modifier, which people have asked for off and on for ages. I'd go for that, given the number of assault cannons that sound like wet noodles.

This sounds nice.