The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Would love some critique on this Pyro PVP build.

Covaloch

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hZrcZfhMrzGGMs.1

So I just decided after leveling to 43 that i'd like to try my hand at some serious pvp.

Please take a look and tell me what you think. Mucho Gracias.

The only real problem where I had to decide over one point or the other was with Gyroscopic alignment jets, energy rebounder, and automated defenses. Still not sure about it. Insight?

Gyroscopic Alignment Jets is really good. If you're stunned then stunned before it breaks you only get the initial 8, like it counts it as one long stun. That sort of sucks but if you're stunned that long you're either dead or your heat will be 0 anyway. However if different effects occur you get the 8 every time. So knocked back, then slowed, then rooted, that's 24. Very powerful heat venting in Pvp.

Infrared Sensors is much better than it looks on paper, I've got it in my current build and I can spot people before they get the jump on me pretty reliably. Worst case scenario, I at least see it coming even if I dont quite have the time to react. Sometimes I can see them at blaster range and either shoot them or drop a stealth scan on their heads.

I've never tried automated defenses but in theory I'd like to. With sufficient crit you can get your kolto overload cooldown lower than a Shieldtech's. Pretty handy.

That is my insight on what you don't have. Here is my insight on what you do have.

Prototype Electro-Surge is not nearly as good as it looks. By the time you're 50 you'll have Carbonize as an extra stun (AoE as well). They are both 45 second cooldowns so you'll always have one up when you need it. The problem with stuns in general is that without coordination targets tend to build up resolve pretty quickly so that when you do need the Electro-Dart, they're immune anyway. I don't think this one is worth the points.

Degauss isn't appealing to me. Granted now a days I pretty much exclusively PvP with Jet Charge so the mobility isn't at all an issue for me. My main issue with the talent is that I don't like the root break tied to the key defensive cooldown. I don't like having to use it to break a root and then needing the mitigation later. Also it removes roots, but does not make you immune, since every damn Force User has a crap ton of ways to root you and there are a billion Force Users, you'll just end up rooted again more often than not. Again, I have Jet Charge, you might need it for Mobility and it is worth a shot, just my 2c.

Gyroscopic Alignment Jets is really good. If you're stunned then stunned before it breaks you only get the initial 8, like it counts it as one long stun. That sort of sucks but if you're stunned that long you're either dead or your heat will be 0 anyway. However if different effects occur you get the 8 every time. So knocked back, then slowed, then rooted, that's 24. Very powerful heat venting in Pvp.

Infrared Sensors is much better than it looks on paper, I've got it in my current build and I can spot people before they get the jump on me pretty reliably. Worst case scenario, I at least see it coming even if I dont quite have the time to react. Sometimes I can see them at blaster range and either shoot them or drop a stealth scan on their heads.

I've never tried automated defenses but in theory I'd like to. With sufficient crit you can get your kolto overload cooldown lower than a Shieldtech's. Pretty handy.

That is my insight on what you don't have. Here is my insight on what you do have.

Prototype Electro-Surge is not nearly as good as it looks. By the time you're 50 you'll have Carbonize as an extra stun (AoE as well). They are both 45 second cooldowns so you'll always have one up when you need it. The problem with stuns in general is that without coordination targets tend to build up resolve pretty quickly so that when you do need the Electro-Dart, they're immune anyway. I don't think this one is worth the points.

Degauss isn't appealing to me. Granted now a days I pretty much exclusively PvP with Jet Charge so the mobility isn't at all an issue for me. My main issue with the talent is that I don't like the root break tied to the key defensive cooldown. I don't like having to use it to break a root and then needing the mitigation later. Also it removes roots, but does not make you immune, since every damn Force User has a crap ton of ways to root you and there are a billion Force Users, you'll just end up rooted again more often than not. Again, I have Jet Charge, you might need it for Mobility and it is worth a shot, just my 2c.

Thank you so much for taking the time for this thoughtful post. I see where you're coming from regarding the electrodart. Old habit i guess from my tank pvp build where i'd need it if i wanted to land most of my attacks (life flamethrower or DFA) else i'd be doing pretty pathetic damage as a tank. I will take that into account on my next build.

Regarding infrared..I'm not sure how often or what i'd do anyway even if I see them first. Do the IA/Assassins and their mirror classes have abilities which require stealth to activate? Cause if they do, then I can see the benefit. Though one could always argue tactical knowledge being the main benefit here.

I took energy rebounder and degauss for the synergy really. One gives me a way to escape snares/cc and the other reduces my cooldown. It does seem rather awesome that the active cooldown is reduced by any damage. But is this one of the use cases where it'll only be useful if you survive the fight in the first place?

Thanks once again for your thoughts.

Go ahead and stick with Degauss and Energy Rebounder, just my 2c and the synergy there probably will be very nice.

Agents and Assassins do have openers. The Agent's is particularly nasty as it knocks you on your face for a bit and you can't break the stun, just have to wait for you to animate getting up.

The most important thing Infrared Sensors does is counteract their mindset. Every stealth player thinks their some sort of ****** ninja setting up an ambush. Like their invincible or something. They catch people by surprise and they know it.

You catch them by surprise, turn the tables on them, and most of them panic. It is a pretty serious advantage if you catch them far enough out to react. If you can't react and they still open on you it negates their advantage of surprise since you were mentally braced for the attack, makes recovery and getting down to punching them in the face much easier in my opinion.

Assuming you live through that ridiculous knockdown and Acid Blade damage.

Edited by chainsawsamurai