Arsenal and dual wield weapons

Rimbaldo

I've been taking pains while leveling to make sure I have the highest base damage weapons possible in both slots, but earlier today after looking at the ranged damage stats a bit more I'm wondering if it's worthwhile. It seems your secondary weapon's damage accounts for a relatively small amount of your overall damage, and then only on dual wield abilities. Which begs the question... which abilities are considered "dual wield"? Is Tracer Missile? Rail Shot? It's safe to say Unload is, but it's the only DW ability which stands out as a major part of a DPS merc's rotation.

Is it important to have a high-damage offhand weapon, or are they meant to function more as stat sticks?

Edited by Rimbaldo

They definitely contribute. Power shot uses both, and I really want to know if rail shot does, but I am inclined to believe it does not. When you get a bunch more accuracy from talents and abilities you will begin to notice the offhand contributes a bit more. Another thing to consider is that as far as the game says special (yellow damage) abilities have a 100% chance to hit so really the only thing you need to worry about is blaster fire.