Melee/Ranged damage scaling bug

Spasi

Since the introduction of level lock around 10 MONTHS ago, there has been an issue with weapon damage scaling abilities. Essentially, they do far less damage than they should.

I have tested it with sentinel's combat spec as the armor penetration lets me gauge damage perfectly due to its consistency.

At lvl 75 without any relics, on an operations dummy Clashing blast(energy damage) does around 48k crits, Lance(melee damage) does 46-47k and Dispatch(energy damage?) does around 48-49k. Dispatch is weird because the tooltip says energy damage however the color says weapon damage. Note those are all buffed as if i was fighting a boss(minus the relics). That means clashing blast is under all the buffs like opportune attack, precision, fanged god stacks and other skill tree buffs. Lance and dispatch are under beatdown, Force clarity and precision of course.

At 75 the base tooltip damage of these abilities are: Clashing blast~16,700; Lance~19,000; Dispatch~19,500.

The point is all those abilities hit for around the same damage, so while level locked they should still do more or less the same, just less damage... RIGHT?

WRONG. For this test i chose Hammer Station Master Mode as its the most run flashpoint in the game.

The issues start with the base tooltip values, We have: Clashing blast~10,700; Lance~9,900; Dispatch~10,500. We have a clear issue here. AT lvl 75 Clashing blast has the lowest base damage, however under level lock it has the highest. This isn't normal and its not purely tooltip bug. The damage they do is:

Clashing blast-31,000; Lance-24,000; Dispatch-27,000

Dispatch has far less of a problem than lance. I am unsure how that attack is counted, because as stated previously there is a discrepancy in the tooltip.

These values should all be around 30k or around 26k. There is clearly a problem here and it affects every class that uses ranged or melee damage of some kind. 90% of the content ingame contains level lock. I do not know whether or not you're aware of this issue, but its a massive problem. If you have made level lock so that you don't have to go and redo all the content every expansion, fine,. But this can only get worse as new expansions come. In my calculations the scaling is off by 15%-20%. That's quite a lot.

Edited by Spasi

How do they behave under Level Sync, which happens in more places than Level Lock?

Open-world planets, including their personal / group / class phases, use Level Sync rather than Level Lock - they reduce you if you are above, but don't raise you if you are below. Does that work differently than Level Lock?

Note: I'm not saying you're wrong, except for "Level Lock is 90% of content." (You've done the numbers, I haven't.) I just want to know if there's a difference between the two systems. Also, can the difference in numbers be attributed to the difference in balance between locked/synced Power-vs-Mastery compared to "true level" Power-vs-Mastery?

As far as i can tell level lock is just level sync combined with one other system. That system being veteran's edge stacks. I do know know how it works exactly. Anyways that's not a discussion post so lets not keep this going.

Also the only not level locked endgame content is Objective Meridian and Duxun operation. That's actually more than 90%.

Edited by Spasi