The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

A "Hood Up" Version of Kallig's Countenance

What it says on the tin. You did it with the Eradicator Warsuit helm, which is bulkier, and you went to great trouble to give everyone the versions of Malgus' armour they might want.

So, please give us a version of Lord Kallig's mask that can be worn under a hood.

Indeed. Let US decide for ourselves that a hood is clipping our headgear or not. The argument usually raised against it is "But I don't want to see a lot of players who can't dress themselves properly wandering around with their hoods clipped through helmets!" To this I answer that nothing prevents Skadge in a speedo, or the use of the most ghastly due combinations known to man.

If we can put up with sharing a flashpoint with a Body Type Four corrupted Sith Jedi Consular with a pink afro, pale blue skimpy chest armour and no pants, then I'm sure you can cope with a clipped hood ;)

The frustrating thing is that, deductively, it seems entirely likely that both parts of the code are already there; just needing to be linked up. True, we don't know the inner workings of the engine (I sincerely hope Bioware do), but still, we know that the appearance of gear on the avatar can be changed in the UI (Appearance Designer). We know that flags for appearance modifiers can be applied to specific sections of armour by the UI (dyes). We know that visibility is one of those flags which can be applied (hide hat exists), and that can be done via a UI toggle. Different hide hat values can be set- and stored- for every outfit, up to 16 per avatar, so it's unlikely this is resource intensive.

We know that it is possible for a UI toggle and a game mechanic toggle to coexist for this - certain cut scenes, most notably potential romance ones, automagically hide your and your companions' hats first.

Lastly, we know that "hood" is a separate mesh piece of all hooded armour which can be controlled with alacrity by the game engine, since there's a race flag to hide it for Twi'lek, Togruta, and presumably Nautolan (haven't checked yet, only just realised recently that they've finally been added. Yes, I know it probably happened years ago ;) ). Lastly that various hats already have that self-same "hide hood" toggle that we want in the UI, in their original "worn" state, as demonstrated by the very helmet I was talking about at the start.

I'm going to go out and ask for a dev response on this one here, actually, if anyone's listening?

Please could you confirm if that analysis is correct, or if there is some other odd quirk of the code that makes it more problematic than we're speculating?

I mean, if there is something, then clarifying that would at least quieten us on an issue that people have been agitating for since 2012 ;-p

If there isn't, if it is just a matter of "We haven't a reason to budget a developer to add that toggle into the Character design UI", then I'll point out that any feature which only needs to be coded once and which makes a large number of armour sets a lot more appealing to a lot more players is a feature which will cause players to buy more Cartel Coins to spend on armour sets, and on collection unlocks to use those armour sets on more of their characters ;)

Hint. Hint.

Edited by RowanThursday

and presumably Nautolan (haven't checked yet, only just realised recently that they've finally been added. Yes, I know it probably happened years ago

I'm not sure how seriously I should take this... ;)

They were added as part of 6.0 in the tail end of October last year, so almost six months now, and the unlock was given implicitly to all people who were subscribed on release day.

Ah, see, prior to the RL Rakghoul Event going into lockdown, I'd not actually played regularly since Iokath went live and annoyed me. I briefly stuck my head round the door to take one character through Crisis in Umbara, but didn't even look at character creation, wasn't impressed by the twist, and wandered off again for a long while.