The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

New Sorcerer and Sage Set Bonus in 6.1.1 - Feedback

DanielSteed

• Dev Post

Hey everyone!

With 6.1.1 coming to PTS, Sorcerers and Sages will be getting a new Set Bonus. Below you can find the "Undying Protector" Set Bonus. This Set Bonus will be the guaranteed Sorcerer/Sage Set Bonus from the Master Mode difficulty of The Nature of Progress Operation. (Note: This Set Bonus will also have a small chance to be gotten via the random boxes from either Kai Zykken or the Spoils of War Vendor.)

Sorcerer:

(2) +2% Mastery

(4) Activating Force Barrier heals all allies around you.

(6) Activating Force Barrier puts a minor barrier around nearby allies for 8 seconds.

Sage:

(2) +2% Mastery

(4) Activating Force Barrier heals all allies around you.

(6) Activating Force Barrier puts a minor barrier around nearby allies for 8 seconds.

Let us know your thoughts! This Set Bonus can be obtained from a vendor on Odessen for testing. The team is specifically looking for feedback on how effective this Set Bonus is on the Master Mode version of The Nature of Progress Operation. It is our intention that this Set Bonus isn't required to beat this difficulty, but it offers extra help with certain mechanics players may experience.

A new set bonus is good and all but thats now the third healer set.

Wouldn´t it be better to create a set just for Madness?

There is currently only one dps set: Gathering Storm.

(Endless Offensive - IDK is that a good PvP set? I´ve never seen anyone using it.)

Is this intended to be a PvE healer set? The 6th piece is a "minor barrier" which sounds like something significantly smaller than our Static Barrier and gone in one hit, so unless it heals for something crazy like 50k+ health in 20-30m radius, I will consider it worse than any of 2 other healer set. The bonus can be used only once per 3 minutes, so maybe twice or three times per boss while also making the sorcerer unable to use any healing skills when channeling barrier AND blowing up his single best defensive / aggro drop skill. On some fights the Barrier can be used this way, but those are usually the easier fights where you do not actually need it to make it through, but on others (Dread guards with Kelsara's Doom, Dxun third boss aggro drop inside the last room with adds coming in or Huntmaster when having a grenade and running out of light circle) I would never use Barrier just to heal people around, because it would probably kill me later. The set bonus would best be used on some burn phases where everyone takes damage - since it can be used only once per 3 minutes, you want to use it when it will heal whole group and not just one or two people - I can imagine it can be used on Titan 6 burn (not that it is needed, but it might make some nice numbers here?) but I would probably not choose it for DP council, as getting to the burn phase is a really long fight and I would prefer the other set bonuses to keep the overall hps up to be able to even get to the burn.

However if it is intended to be used in PvP then it makes no sense to lock it behind Master mode Dxun (which will probably be hardest PvE content, not something PvPers are that interested in).

For me the set is not appealing because it does absolutely nothing for at least 3 minutes. It is like having a no-set gear. The other sets on the other hand are having effect that you can see whole fight, as they modify skills with much lesser cooldown and used very frequently. The modification to Barrier skill to help people around is a nice thought, but given how situational it is I would only consider using it on some very specific places (which leads more to a tactical item than set bonus). But on the other hand it makes me happy that it is not a set that would be considered BiS and must-have for sorc healer, because it will be available to a very small amount of players. Also it is nice that it is not a set aimed at madness spec, because again, the set will be available to a minority of players that can do the hardest content in the game - and those do not need it, because they must be able to kill Dxun nim without this set in the first place to get it - so there is a hope that madness will get some different set in the future that will be available for every tier of players.

Imho rather than locking full set bonuses behind a specific nim ops, I would prefer a "Perfected" gear, which is basically the same bonus with better numbers. For example:

The Revitalized Mystic

2 piece - +2% alacrity

4 piece - Refreshing Resurgence / Rejuvenate on a target refunds 5 Force

6 piece - Healing a target with another healing ability while your Resurgence / Rejuvenate is active on them has a 15% chance to cause your Resurgence / Rejuvenate to provide an additional, unscheduled tick of healing

The Perfected Revitalized Mystic

2 piece - +3% alacrity

4 piece - Refreshing Resurgence / Rejuvenate on a target refunds 10 Force

6 piece - Healing a target with another healing ability while your Resurgence / Rejuvenate is active on them has a 20% chance to cause your Resurgence / Rejuvenate to provide an additional, unscheduled tick of healing

Basically same stuff with a slightly better numbers, so everyone could buy the base set and use it, but some top tier content (PvE or PvP) could provide Perfected set parts with slightly better stats. Nim raiders will be happy to have their "best gear" locked behind hardest content, and the rest of players will be able to get the sets they want from the vendor in the normal version.

A new set bonus is good and all but thats now the third healer set.

Wouldn´t it be better to create a set just for Madness?

There is currently only one dps set: Gathering Storm.

(Endless Offensive - IDK is that a good PvP set? I´ve never seen anyone using it.)

Those really aren't dedicated Madness / Balance sets are they? They're more Sorc / Sage sets.

If it did one more thing per 4 pieces and 6 pieces this could be really good.

Examples could be the lower CD on Innervate for 4 pieces, that one's been used but it's good and been a thing for ages.

6 set-piece could give a brief buff of CC immunity for half or less of the duration of the minor barrier.

I have tried it on PTS and was not really impressed - on Odessen the tooltip stated 29k barrier (which is good) and 25% damage reduction as long as barrier is channeled (also not bad, but it also means a channeling sorc cannot do any healing). The heal from the Barrier happens only once when I press the button, and it is an amazing 11k heal... so if someone decides to use this, please shout at your team memmbers to closely watch they health bar, otherwise they could miss it :p I think the number was almost exactly same as the heal by Healing Hand tactical when you extricate someone. For a set bonus that can be used every 3 minutes at best... not bad, but not that good either to make me interested enough to try and get it, given how inaccessible it will be.

I can still see that it can be useful in pvp (and again, why would that be gated by hardest PvE content if it was an intention), or that maybe this is not intended for a healer at all, but for a dps to help healers passing some phase on a boss where enrage is not a thing and it is necessary to survive some crazy 10 seconds high dtps phase?

So my impression with the set bonus compared to the other two is that it's supposed to give sorc healers another cooldown to use for burst healing while Empowered Restorer gives a versatile healing increase and Revitalized Mystic makes sorcs more specialized increases primarily to tanks. From my math, over the full duration of Force Barrier, it mitigates damage equivalent to 7.5k HPS per player, so at 3 targets, the sorc is doing 22.5k HPS and with 8 targets it does 60k and of course that assumes you channel it for the full 8 seconds, which you likely won't need to do when this set bonus will be most useful. It really seems like the idea here is to make it so that a sorc healer can channel Force Barrier in times of dire need and have it actually protect the raid group for a period of time.

It does need a few improvements though. First, I don't get why the damage reduction only applies to Elemental damage, like just give 25% regular damage reduction. It's just unnecessarily specific right now. Second, the range needs to be increased to at least 20m, right now its range appears to be only 4m so you're more than likely only going to protect a couple of people at most. Third, it will be unnecessary on most fights, so it needs to at least do something small to increase sustained healing in addition to its current effects, like maybe reducing the Force cost of Revivification or something. I don't think it would use it if these things weren't changed.

First off, I agree that this set needs to add a buff at the 4 piece or 6 piece threshold to healing after the use of force barrier to become a viable healer set and not just a gimmick set no one will use.

Like after using force barrier your healing is increase by 10% for 15 sec etc.

Second, I wish you made a set specifically dedicated to burst and crit damage (or healing).

like "after activating recklessness, your first reckless charged ability heal or damage is increased by 20%"

and under polarity shift, your crit chance for force attacks and heals is increased by 15% for its duration.; or something like that.