The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Powertech utility ninja change (Combustion Chamber)

Prog

So with yesterday PTS build I've noticed a significant change in new Power Yield ability and one of the Heroic utilities. Current Power Yield tooltip:

Applies a stack of Power Yield to you, increasing your armor by 40% and your damage done by 2% for 10 seconds. Whenever you take damage, an additional stack of Power Yield is applied, up to 5 times.

So that is a total of 10% damage done increase at 5 stacks. Looks ok, why not. Something similar to Cloak of Pain, but in a different manner. Now let us take a look at the utility change. Before it was a utility that gave damage bonus to tank and damage reduction bonus to dps while Explosive Fuel is active. Now it is reworked towards Power Yield. And for PT dps it looks quite op. For PT tank it is still lame and that is my concern. So, the description:

Combustion Chamber

Power Yield increases damage done by an additional 2% when attacked while Ion Gas Cylinder is being utilized and refreshes its duration when attacked while Ion Gas Cylinder is not being utilized. Power Yield cannot last longer than 30 seconds.

To decipher that, tanks receive 4% damage done buff per stack and dps receive a possibility of 30 seconds of Power Yield. So with ideal circumstances a DPS receive 10% damage done bonus for 30 seconds each 120 seconds.

I actually like that overall, good job there, devteam. But, but, concerns are many, answers are little...

I express my concern with the fact that PT keeps receiving more passive damage bonuses from taking damage constantly. It now has one more mechanism in addition to quite powerful previous ones. If this class was really designed in such a manner, it would be normal to at least have it balanced along with other classes. I.e. have it do significantly lower base damage and only be very slightly ahead of other classes in 'reflect'-possible encounters. So it remains viable, but far not the best in no-reflect encounters and doesn't make hard encounters easy as it does right now, examples granted: Brontes burn phase and Nahut are killable with a PT dps in a much easier manner than other classes just because of this 'reflect' mechanism, so I consider this quite imbalanced, especially due to the fact that Nahut stopped the most of Gods MM progression teams.

Yesterday on PTS my team did Nature of Progress Veteran Mode and on boss #1 (btw great job picking his HP - it finally feels like a proper boss fight, not too long, not too short, kudos devteam ) our AP PT was focusing boss and the Bull. Thanks to the DoT damage ticking quite often on people as a part of the encounter, the utility described above could be used in its full potential. So yeah, Lightning Sorcerer and Vengeance Juggernaut - the classes who cleave adds during their single target rotation - got outdpsed by PT AP guy by 1k each. I know we aren't into Stage 3 yet, but the change is on PTS so technically I am allowed to test it :D And I am telling that this does not feel balanced one bit :p

It does get tiring to have one same class being far ahead of the rest in many expansions in a row (PT keeps being sort of a pve fotm thing since 3.0). I wonder what community thinks about this change.

I am also concerned about PT tank being at a loss. Power Yield doesn't actually work as an amazing defensive cooldown. It didn't even provide 10% DR last time I checked. And its only kinetic/energy while PT tank is well known for its internal/elemental vulnerability. When first boss Red does its cleave (I/E) both Assassin and Juggernaut have easy way out with minimal HP loss - Shroud/Force Speed or Mad Dash. PT needs to save hydraulics for that to make sure he won't be pushed/rooted/slowed by adds. And PT will still take significantly more damage from the cleave.