The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

[Question] How do you plan to augment your gear with 6.0?

DerBlutigeNeuner

Hello everyone,

since with the new gear- and lootsystem we have to increase our overall item rating in order to get better gear and it seems we mostly get only unmodifiable gear how do you plan to augment them?

I mean it's way too expensive to augment every new gear piece which has a bit better stats than the current one but we need to equip this piece to get even better gear

Well, for starters, you're not going to be able to find any MK-11 Augment slots unless BW completely overhauls the crafting system. The current material requirements for MK-11 slots are completely and utterly insane. So you're probably not even going to be able to think about augmenting your gear, since nobody is going to go through the hassle of crafting the slots in the first place.

Second, even if the crafting aspect is fixed, augmenting your gear is going to be impractical with all the unmoddable gear that you are forced to equip. The next patch is *supposed* to increase the drop rate of moddable gear, but we are still likely going to be forced to use unmoddable gear when it drops.

The other problem with all the unmoddable crap is that it makes cartel market weapons useless. That lightsaber you paid real money for? Gotta stick it in your cargo hold because you're forced to use a stupid green saber with annoying sound effects. That ****** assault cannon that you've been wanting to buy? Better not waste any CC or credits on it if you can't even use it at max level.

BW really needs to get it through their heads that *all* gear at max level needs to be moddable.

In six days I got to 306 and now that I am I have been playing with the vendor Takanna and got the modifiable pieces I wanted. Mods do drop from Hammer station, but you have to be wearing modifiable gear in a few slots or it will not drop, or if it does it is rare.

So with about 30 hours of play I will have a set to build off of and get the set I want. With the 20+ armorings, mods, and enhancements it will take a good while to get close to BiS. Zykken is not that bad in prices but the RNG makes getting the piece with the mods in it you want a bit of a hassle.

Crafting if it stays the way it is I will not be doing any crafting at all, but I might once I have the insane amount of mats I need just to make a basic item like the higher level medpacs or augments but not more than I absolutely need. Until then I will use 228 mods as the 236 are changed and nerfed into 238 and the same with the 240s turning into 242.

I will need just one basic set for all my dps the pieces for a healer without accuracy, and a tank set for my shadow/sin if I tank at all. So at most four sets.

My gear will have 228 augments until they change the crafting or I have the mats from just roaming around. If the nodes stay on onderon I think I will have no problem with the green mats. The missions give about 10 of the blue and purple so that is not so bad and the amount of jawa parts if it stays high will be okay with the 200 jawa parts per mat though I think those are still high. It all comes down to how crafting finally gets released but as is many crafters will charge millions and once no one is willing to buy that high they will just stop crafting.

I had forgotten about 230 augments. They have been an incredibly rare drop for me -- only one has dropped since they were added to the game. They may have been nerfed like the 236 and 240 legendary versions have been. The nerfing disappoints -- they are now garbage for most content compared to the 228s. I'm hoping they back this nerfing out.

Until grade 11 crafting becomes viable, about all we can do is augment our choice gear with grade 10 crafted 228s and call it good. Most content will be subject to Level Synch, which pretty much ends up ignoring the contributions of mastery, endurance and power from gear. Level Synch also makes 228 augments (+96 tertiary) slightly better than the new 276 (blue) augments (+95 tertiary) for such content.

It takes 5 weeks of personal conquest grinding to make one 276 augment right now. The 286 augments will be better for all content, but i suspect that these will require at least 5 maybe up to 10 weeks of personal conquest grinding to collect the mats to make one. Of course these can be sped up running multiple characters through conquest, being in a guild that makes its conquest goals each week, and by purchasing them off the GTN for way too much. However, the grind could end up too much.

Even with using 228s, I will be picky about which pieces get augment slots and even then, only better to best 306 gear, set shells, and moddable shells are going to get them. There is so much variability in gear the odds are high we'll end up with lots of 306 or close to 306 gear that have inferior stats. Set and moddable shells can be "repaired" with better mod drops. The only 306 ears and implants I've seen drop all have fixed tertiary stats (+431) but there has otherwise been quite a bit of variability in their mastery, power, defense and endurance contributions. There are at least 3 kinds of Adept, 3 kinds of Discipline, 3 kinds of Bastion, 3 kinds of Proficient, 3 kinds of Initiative, etc.

Unless grade 11 crafting changes for the better, it will take months to years to augment even one character with 276 and 286 augments (there may be a higher gold tier too with access locked by even lower reverse engineering chance). And, we don't know if they will be necessary to survive hard mode level 75 content, but if 6.0 balances out anything like 5.0, likely so.