The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Quick fix suggestion to address gear RNG that should be easy to implement

Citrienne

This is a quick fix to the RNG that is making players mad that should, in my opinion, be easy to implement for the Dev team. It's not the ideal fix, but it would work to alleviate a lot of my annoyance (and everyone else's, probably) with the new gearing system.

Two things. First, on both Takanna and Kai Zykken, when you pull an item from them there is now a refund timer. If you don't like what it is or what it has on it, you sell it back for a full TF/credits refund. Second, if you equip a piece of gear from these two vendors on your person, then the refund timer is removed (guarded prompt asking you "are you sure?") and you can no longer vendor it back for a full refund.

• Now players can pull/refund/pull/refund a single piece until they get something they are happy with
  • Devs can keep their RNG-heavy system if they are this adamant about keeping this sort of meta
  • Players don't feel like their grinding effort/time has gone into a black hole if they pull an inappropriate piece the first time
  • You can stand there doing this for as long as you want to waste on it, but
  • You're still locked into getting a side-grade or a slight (1 tier) upgrade on a single piece at best, so it seems minimally exploitable
  • You can't stand there and upgrade to full 306s over 4 hours because the game uses overall gear rating of currently equipped gear and you burn your refundability by equipping the gear piece

No new vendors, no new currencies, no added unassembled piece drops.

Its a very small change, really. But with a huge impact.

What I don't like about this is that it may be too obtuse for new players to understand that if there's a refund timer, you can return the item for a full refund, and pulling a second time will give you a new piece with different stats/bonuses/amplifiers.

Anyway, devs, if you won't consider taking the RNG out of this system, at least consider making this change instead.

Thanks.