Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

So what's gonna happen to Slicing now?

pyziroki

After surfing forums for a while. I came to conclusion. BW should re-roll back to what slicing was. And we players will figure out what to do with slicing and other skills. Then there will finally be money in game. It's not just slicers who will benefit from slicing but all the other crewskills too. So now we need to let BW know what we want.

there is plenty of money in the game.

Bio is just sucking back too much of it. current prices are easily double of what they really should be.

and they didn't reflect on how crafting impacts an MMO market. For a large group of players (larger then most suspect), crafting and trading is a VERY large component of their game. Many people are attracted to an MMO solely for its economy and trading system. Take Eve, as an example.

But to give them credit, It's their first full fledged MMO, so i guess there's going to be some growing pains. and it released right before everyone went to burn up their extra vacation time on the holidays. so all of us are on vacation playing the game like mad, and all of Bio are on vacation, not responding to forum threads. I'm just hoping that they resolve these issue very soon. not the slicing, but the crafting and economy. it will only compound as the game matures.

a game ca survive classes being broke, instances being bugged. but it really cannot survive a trashed economy. This game has too many imbalances in the economy. I think that Bio is just needing to learn this. their experience with single player games doesn't really give them what they need to understand the ebb and flow of an open market.

Edit: BTW, I'm not saying im an expert. but the details that seem to be imbalanced in the crafting and economy are pretty glaring. its almost like the took a bunch of ideas of how to get players gear/skills, and threw them all together without seeing the grander picture. that may be simplifying, but that's what I see in a nutshell.

Edited by Elyx

As I posted in another thread the problems is that Bioware hasn't decided that yeilds should give X/min return:

The problem with the old slicing is clear in 2 secs of looking at the data that been mined.

I mean just look here .

It only takes 3 seconds to see the major problem is the return on the Rich missions and the Level 25 to 40 Bountiful missions in this data. Going from 20 credits per min to 100+ it clear that they messed up with the data entries for these missions.

But look at the new data here.

And you see they changed these too far the other way now as as is show all Bountiful and some Rich missions return less then the 'lowest' yielding Moderate missions

Really all they need to do is to set the returns at lets say Moderate 10 creds/min, Abundant 20 creds/min, Bountiful 30 creds/min and Rich 40 creds/min profit on average and everything would be fine. If this is to high just change the return downwards a bit to say 5,10,15 & 20 or what ever value they think is right.

They should of set the return base as mission cost+X*time where X is based on mission yield level then there should be a +/-Y factor to make the return vary and then the Crit bonuses amount applies to this IE +25% +50% +75% +100% or whatever the crit bonus should be.

If they want lvl 6 lockboxes to return more than lvl 5 ones then replace X with a lvl*X factor instead.

Which this being the case any changes made are as simple as opening the yield files and changing 4 numbers.

But then there's the bigger problem with all crafting skills apart from Biochem (the craftables are better than shop ones) why bother with them when you can get something equal or better from a shop? Commendations shops anyone?

Edited by Kotli

As I posted in another thread the problems is that Bioware hasn't decided that yeilds should give X/min return....

nice post Kotli. I can see where theres some regularity issues there. I'm not a pro-slicer guy, but I'd support them at least standardizing the data across the mission types. doesn't make sense from where they're at.

On a more global note, i think the problem in balancing the slicing return is they are placing it as a gathering skill, yet the other gathering skills yield a product that has a variable return. And slicing is static.

the other skills variable is the market. The crystal you sell for 200c today may only yield 100c tomorrow. but Slicing will always yield the same amount (given the range available with each box type). So even though it has to be balanced with the other mission skills in mind, the output of those other skills will always be in flux. So are they going to buff/nerf slicing endlessly to compensate?

I really think they're solution lies in the augments. not very well thought out or planned at its current stage, but it could easily be adjusted to become a standard factor in the economy, which would make slicing far more viable. adding the option to the class skills to, say, add an augment slot to anything they craft. I'm getting augments that im vendoring or decon'ing immediately because i know that by the time i get a piece of gear that can use it, ill have outleveled the usefullness of the augment.

But if I had the ability to add an extra mat to forge/sew/weave/ an augment slot into it, suddenly i not only have a use for augments, but i have a solid use for most the gear I make as I level. and crafted gear will rise in value because it can have an augment slot, whereas the commendation pieces cannot. it will give crafting a niche that's not OP.

Edited by Elyx

No, they won't.

No, they won't. Crafting is supposed to be optional. Optional, in this case, means not worth taking. If it was worth taking, then crafting wouldn't be optional. You'd actually need to do it.

Certainly there are other options. They won't be taken. That'd mean they would be admitting to a mistake. And we can't have that.

You should probably have your forum posting privileges revoked.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.